Northern Ireland vs North of Ireland

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Liney_Lunatic, Mar 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. as per a request from MDN for someone to start a thread along this line, what is it that makes people from the provice (including those that fcuked off abroad to collect cash) think that even though the 6 counties have been part of the UK for quite a few years, it is the North of Ireland (and lets not go down the route of its the same piece of rock) and not Norhtern Ireland. im also wondering what makes them think that they had the God given right to bomb the sh!t out of innocent civilians when they claimed that they were waging a war against the British, considering more of their own countrymen/women/children were killed in the troubles than the military.

your thoughts please.
  2. Northern Ireland.
  3. You've been drinking, even your typing is slurred but just go to bed and sleep it off.

You'll probably still be a useless cnut in the morning but better that than a fcuking journo.
  4. I didn't request it, I know and can foresee the outcome.

Lots of people screaming PRIA scum, few sensible and relevant posts.

I offered to host it in the NAAFI where it could be monitored and modded like the last one to see if anything can be gleaned.
  5. To put it in NAAFI would be the only sensible thing.
  6. Obviously certain matters tend to flare the temper a tad
  7. Fenian scum tend not to do sensible.

Nothing personal merely an observation.
  8. Northern Ireland

Same island but separate countries
    It is the same as saying Scotland or the (very) North of England .................

sitting back waiting for the sweaty socks to kick off hehehheheeheh :twisted:
  9. ha ha very funny, i can handle being a useless cnut, ive been one pretty much my whole career, lol, but please dont insult me by calling me a journo, i have more self respect than that. the only thing ive been drinking is tea, although i do wish it was something stronger.

@ MDN appologies i think i mis-read your post in the other thread about prison, if you want to shift it to the NAAFI thats you call as a MOD, i aint daft enough to argue.

i am currently serving in the Army, and have been to NI. i was wondering about other peoples opinions and experiences of whats happened/happening over there, however, i do have to agree with MDN on the fact that it will probably degenerate into a slanging match between the Forces and those that support those that carried out the bombings/killings from either side.
  10. I couldn't care less what people call it. I spent some time there, and enjoyed it on the whole. What the locals or the other lot across the border call it has no bearing on me whatsoever.
  11. Certainly pre-WW1 some postal addresses in Scotland had NB for Northern Britain.
  12. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

And L_L,I think you'll find that the were a lot more servicemen & women from both sides of the border who fought in both World Wars,My late Father included.
    And,I gather (correct me if I'm wrong) but is'nt the Royal Irish (or it's predecesors) the only regiment to recruit from both sides of the border.
    And the RUC was originally the RIC,(Royal Irish Constabulary)
  13. I don't know where to start on this one but as a Dubliner I have always heard it refered to as "The North". Now I left Dublin at 15 and by then it had made an impact on my life, during the border troubles in the mid 50's I was at school near the Four Courts and almost every day I seen the police knocking a few Republican head together when they came out of their holes. One of the lasting legacies of those times was my dislike for the N Irish accent, listening to it I had the impression of sitting in a dentist chair and him drilling away. It was to become worse during my tours there, a very dislikeable accent which set my teeth on edge!!

I will leave it at that at the moment, maybe more as I see the thread!!

14. What is wrong with holding a referendum to determine what people who actually live there want? Do they want to be part of Great Britain, Republic of Ireland, or maybe an independent country?
  15. fair one, but would that not possibly kick off all the troubles again as you would have people swinging towards republicanism or unionism, as i dont think any of the politicians would have thought about an independant country.