Northern Ireland Veterans Association Service of Remembrance

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by DeadHorse, Aug 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. 42 years ago today, in the wake of absolute lawlessness and sectarian violence, British soldiers were sent into Northern Ireland to aid the civil powers.
    This came to be known as Op Banner.
    28 years later, 1,300 British soldiers and 307 Policemen had been killed as a consequence of the 'troubles.

Northern Ireland Veterans Association

Northern Ireland Veterans Association Service of Remembrance
    at the National Memorial Arboretum, Staffs:
    11.30am Saturday 17th September 2011.
    All are welcome.
    Remembering those from the security forces who lost their lives during the conflict in Northern Ireland.

2. I've just started started reading Ken Wharton's latest book on the Army in NI "The Bloodiest Year 1972". A poignant reminder of what the old and bold had to put up with back in the day.

I also spent some time this week with some mates who had also done their time over the water. It might be a long time ago but it could be yesterday for some of us.

RIP to those who never came back and a raised glass to all those who served.

Rodney2q

3. Seconded. Not sure if I can, but I'll do my best to make it to the Arboretum.

4. Can't make it to the Arboretum, but will be the in spirit to remember lost muckers. Banner was my last op before becoming a civvy.

5. I intend being there and hopefully bearing messages from a few of our
    Members who can't make it.

6. Will be there with my father in law.

7. Can't be there I'm afraid but my thoughts are with you and all the lads who played their part in NI.

And don't forget the lads of the UDR who would be out on patrol and have to go and live in the "community", with quite a few of them getting killed in their homes.

8. Don't think I will be able to make it,sorry.

9. Christ, 42 years. Yeah, I joined up on twenty something Aug.1969.
    Will not be able to make to make it, but will be there in thought.

10. And the lasses of the UDR, RUC and Reg Army. They served and died too.

11. HHH

HHH LE

To any one going;
    Say, HHH says thanks and you all, are always remembered.