Northern Ireland ECM

I’ve heard from a few now about a shin pad ECM in NI. I never came across it when I was there and I can’t find anything about it any where. Does anyone know anything about it? Cheers

ugly

LE
Jeebus

It was about 30 years ago.

For the life of me I cannot remember the name, but I'm fairly confident it was a command wire detector.
I recall that coming in to service maybe 1988, didn’t the wire antenna run inside the trouser leg?

I recall that coming in to service maybe 1988, didn’t the wire antenna run inside the trouser leg?
TBH, I only recall it being part of Search kit. The workings of it escape me.

It might possibly have been issued to Rural troops, but that is just a guess on my part, my rural days finished long before 1988 and W. Belfast became the normal stomping ground.

I’ve heard from a few now about a shin pad ECM in NI. I never came across it when I was there and I can’t find anything about it any where. Does anyone know anything about it? Cheers
I cant remember the name but i remember a piece of kit worn on infantry foot patrols on the shin that was a command wire detector

REST used two doubloons* (looked like a broom handle with a kit bag on the end), they had to be deployed at 90° to each other as the only worked in one plane. Even then this was flowed up with dragging a hook through certain areas. Even before REST deployed high resolution photography and interpretation of the area was in place. Command Wires were usually pretty obvious.

So I’ll leave it to you to determine the capability of a small electronic device held an inch above the metal eyelets of BCH.

*Replaced by a single Darkling in the ‘90s.

Thank you all, gives me a lot to go on, while I search for pictures

Intended as a CW detection tool for use in covert search operations. Comprised a sensor element within a green shin pad (velcro fastner) linked by wire to a reciever box/ power pack/ earpiece, attached to waist belt. Used it on a number of occasions in South Armagh.

Last edited:

RE-DSO

Old-Salt
REST used two doubloons* (looked like a broom handle with a kit bag on the end), they had to be deployed at 90° to each other as the only worked in one plane. Even then this was flowed up with dragging a hook through certain areas. Even before REST deployed high resolution photography and interpretation of the area was in place. Command Wires were usually pretty obvious.

So I’ll leave it to you to determine the capability of a small electronic device held an inch above the metal eyelets of BCH.

*Replaced by a single Darkling in the ‘90s.
And again by the late 90's it was a different bit of kit again. Looked like a bigger version of grudge.

And again by the late 90's it was a different bit of kit again. Looked like a bigger version of grudge.
I made a mistake on my earlier post, nicely corrected by a PM. It was driftway, not darkling. Goldie was used in Afghanistan.

Latest Threads