Northern Ireland - British Army Equipment...?

wheel

LE
Brush_Dust_Shake said:
Anybody remember the Saracen watercannon used by Felix? There was one of these at Sydenham when I was there in 81, never saw it used in anger. Turret on it was similar to a Saladin & housed a huge watercannon that fired pigsticks, similar to the wheelbarrow. The cannon was powerful enough to knock a car over from 30m, & was powered by 4 compressed air cylinders mounted on the sides of the hull.
Saw it being fired once to train operators, did everything it said on the tin. Met a current ATO the other day, told her about it & she didn't believe me....until a scientist who used to work at MVEE joined in because he overheard the conversation, he worked on the design of it in the 70s & said it was withdrawn for H&S reasons (in other words, it was just as dangerous to the operator as the target. Apparently there was a dangerous compressed gas build-up in the turret on firing). He said he would e-mail me some pics of it in development, when they arrive I'll post them on here.

I remember it well. Used it a couple of times when I was attached to ATO is Fort George Londonderry 1980. Most of the time we used to go out in Transits covered in makrolon.

jinxy said:
CaptainWillard said:
I might as well have done... :wink:

CW

So! you spent your life phoning the security forces?

You are "Martin McGuinness"

Can I have my £0.20 now. Thank you?

Nah, I meant that our house was tiny, all the windows were busted, it stank of pish and the phone never worked... :p

CW
Quis Separabit

321 EOD SQN (bomb disposal) Used ford transits at one point back in the day, they were then replaced by the tactica...pretty sure there will be some stuff on the wheelbarrows used too on the internet...the wheelbarrow is the robot that goes down before the operater to check out the device. It can also be used to open cars etc etc. there was also something called blackboard which was a heli-portable vehicle for use in remote places like S Armagh.

ugly

LE
Blackboard was for sale at Witham last year!

wheel said:
Brush_Dust_Shake said:
Anybody remember the Saracen watercannon used by Felix? There was one of these at Sydenham when I was there in 81, never saw it used in anger. Turret on it was similar to a Saladin & housed a huge watercannon that fired pigsticks, similar to the wheelbarrow. The cannon was powerful enough to knock a car over from 30m, & was powered by 4 compressed air cylinders mounted on the sides of the hull.
Saw it being fired once to train operators, did everything it said on the tin. Met a current ATO the other day, told her about it & she didn't believe me....until a scientist who used to work at MVEE joined in because he overheard the conversation, he worked on the design of it in the 70s & said it was withdrawn for H&S reasons (in other words, it was just as dangerous to the operator as the target. Apparently there was a dangerous compressed gas build-up in the turret on firing). He said he would e-mail me some pics of it in development, when they arrive I'll post them on here.

I remember it well. Used it a couple of times when I was attached to ATO is Fort George Londonderry 1980. Most of the time we used to go out in Transits covered in makrolon.

It was called SWD - Special Water Dispenser. I don't think it was ever used in anger but it was still in 321's strength until 1986 (before my time btw, I joined in 1987).

Even madder than SWD was Foaming Pig, from 1973-74. The idea was that foam could supress explosions, so when a car bomb was found the street was boarded up and Foaming Pig pumped thousands of gallons of foam into it. It was used once or twice in Belfast but it really was absolute bollocks from just about every aspect.

chairbornpiefinder82 said:
321 EOD SQN (bomb disposal) Used ford transits at one point back in the day, they were then replaced by the tactica...pretty sure there will be some stuff on the wheelbarrows used too on the internet...the wheelbarrow is the robot that goes down before the operater to check out the device. It can also be used to open cars etc etc. there was also something called blackboard which was a heli-portable vehicle for use in remote places like S Armagh.

321 used Mk 1 - 3 Transits from the mid 70s to 1994. My team at BBK was the ast to have them. Belfast and Londonderry teams didn't have them them though. They stuck with Pigs and Saracens until 1986 when they were replaced by God awful Dodge 50 vans. Both these and Transits were replaced by Tactica in 1993-94, and Tactica was replaced by NI Variant Wedgewood (a Leyland DAF 45 with an armoured cab) in 2004-5.

Blackboard was absolute shite and was replaced by a similar thing called Balter. Before Blackboard was a thing called Goblin - a great name for any military vehicle!

I've got a Piglet for sale if anyone really fancies re-living those 'glory' days... Much cheapness!

ugly

LE
Only if it comes with 4 working SLRs and the figure I had in 83!

Sir Rowley Birkin QC said:

321 used Mk 1 - 3 Transits from the mid 70s to 1994. My team at BBK was the ast to have them. Belfast and Londonderry teams didn't have them them though. They stuck with Pigs and Saracens until 1986 when they were replaced by God awful Dodge 50 vans. Both these and Transits were replaced by Tactica in 1993-94, and Tactica was replaced by NI Variant Wedgewood (a Leyland DAF 45 with an armoured cab) in 2004-5.

Blackboard was absolute shite and was replaced by a similar thing called Balter. Before Blackboard was a thing called Goblin - a great name for any military vehicle!

O Contraire monsieur, Derry had the wonderful Ford transits mid 80's, I remember barfing in the back of them last night in theatre. Wonderful stuff poitin...... or potcheen or poteen AW WTF!!!

AlienFTM said:
Busterdog said:
Flew in a Beaver

Is that a euphemism?

Beaver was our main mode of transport out of our mining camp in the Andes in the mid-60s: fly to Medllin, pick up something bigger - a DC4 or a Constellation - to Bogata where the real big jets (707) landed.

Euphemism? No I hit the other 'beaver' approximately 30minutes after landing - a much more enjoyable flight!

Hobgoblingobbler said:

O Contraire monsieur, Derry had the wonderful Ford transits mid 80's, I remember barfing in the back of them last night in theatre. Wonderful stuff poitin...... or potcheen or poteen AW WTF!!!

I stand corrected. :) You can't really say you've been on an EOD team unless you've either puked, shat or shagged in the back of the van.

AT55

LE
Hobgoblingobbler said:

O Contraire monsieur, Derry had the wonderful Ford transits mid 80's, I remember barfing in the back of them last night in theatre. Wonderful
stuff poitin...... or potcheen or poteen AW WTF!!!

In the mid 70's the Derry detachment of 321 used Saracens and Pigs in the City and Transits in the country. Wheelbarrow was carried in the pig and the sigs used the Saracens. Because of this, the lead vehicle was usually the pig carrying the number 1 and his 'barrow except that one ATO who to use his own words "was built for comfort and not speed" could not fit ito the pig's pax door.
On a couple of occassions I remember rushing to a job with blue lights flashing and going up hill and being overtaken by nosey kids (or dickers?) on push bikes.
The Derry detachment also had a blue VW Q van that had its number- plates changed every other week but still the kids and dickers used to give the drivers a friendly two fingered salute every time they saw it.

As for the foaming pig, I was assured by boffins at a Fort in Kent that according to their trials, foam drastically reduced the damage when deployed on and around IEDs. They did not really come up with an effective way clearing the foam away the enable the ATO to go about his highly dangerous, selfless and exceedingly brave task.

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/Nonlethalconflict.pdf

the above cut and paste thingy has more interesting info.

ugly

LE
I may not remember all the vehicles and kit used back in my day but I've a good idea that we will all soon see new stuff developed soon to be deployed far too soon for my liking.

I stand corrected. :) You can't really say you've been on an EOD team unless you've either puked, shat or shagged in the back of the van.

I've never been on an EOD team then :?

And you must have either shat or puked in the back of one then! (Spanking one out in the back doesn't count)

dingerr said:

I've never been on an EOD team then :?

And you must have either shat or puked in the back of one then! (Spanking one out in the back doesn't count)

Dear god man, EVERYONE spanked one out in the back, this is only a BASELINE qualification

It was called SWD - Special Water Dispenser. I don't think it was ever used in anger but it was still in 321's strength until 1986 (before my time btw, I joined in 1987).

Even madder than SWD was Foaming Pig, from 1973-74. The idea was that foam could supress explosions, so when a car bomb was found the street was boarded up and Foaming Pig pumped thousands of gallons of foam into it. It was used once or twice in Belfast but it really was absolute bollocks from just about every aspect.
The use of foam to suppress the effects of blast works very well. I have stood 10 m from a 5 kg HE charge that was encased in a huge quantity of foam and felt little blast effect. I had good cover from fragmentation.

SWD was used many times in anger. It was designed to deal with multi blast incendiary attacks.

Latest Threads