Northern Ireland Books

With Christmas just around the corner i will inevitably end up with a few book vouchers no doubt, so can anyone recommend a good book on the troubles in Northern Ireland, in particular anything involving the signals/ int community?

A special kind of courage by Chris Ryder, more about 321 Eod but does mention us bleeps

T.F.R

War Hero
Bandit country, (one of the best factual reads and if youve worked in that area you will recognise some blacked out faces)
Brits,Provos, loyalists (excellent read look good on the bookshelf)
Fishers of men (is ok)
Eamon Collins (gives an ok insiders view of the rebels int structure)

Theres a few kiss and tell types (how accurate i do not know) like 50 dead men walking, and 1033

Avoid :steaknife, the nemisis files and other such ilk (garbage)

Edited to say: Oh and how could i forget Harry's Game (good yarn)

T.F.R said:
Bandit country, (one of the best factual reads and if youve worked in that area you will recognise some blacked out faces)
Having read many books on the troubles I would have to agree that this is the best, although only concentrating on South Armagh area.
Regarding the blacked out faces, I used to have an early (possibly first) edition copy that had to be removed from sale because there were many faces not blacked out. Someone 'borrowed' it and failed to return it though.

Perhaps we should all get together and do a " Voices of NI " like the IWM has about WW1/2

The British Army in Ulster Vol. 1 to 4 by David Barzilay

Out of print and the first books that I can remember being published from the Army's perspective. Lots of photographs and accurate because memories were fresh when they were written.

The Rigger. About well, a rigger in NI.

Wouldn´t bother with big boys rules though.

Bumper said:

Out of print and the first books that I can remember being published from the Army's perspective. Lots of photographs and accurate because memories were fresh when they were written.
I have a set of these. It is a shame he did not go on producing them as the years went by. As a history of the British Army on operations in its own country, it would have made a facinating collection.

TIGER-MONKEY said:
Bumper said:

I have a set of these. It is a shame he did not go on producing them as the years went by. As a history of the British Army on operations in its own country, it would have made a facinating collection.
There's a vigorous trade in print-on-demand digital re-prints for out-of-print titles, especially Military History... old titles are often de-spined and scanned and reprinted digitally quite beautifully. Tip the nod to a military history publisher that this old title is gold and if others say the same it might persuade it to add it to a database... the ISBN is listed but stock not held and printed purely to order... brilliant to watch this kit in action.

Bandit Country for factual though it's about South Armagh

Drumbeat of Jimmy Sands - this is a fictional story but absolutely brilliant and goes quite deep into Int procedures and flaws.

VicMackey said:
T.F.R said:
Having read many books on the troubles I would have to agree that this is the best, although only concentrating on South Armagh area.
Regarding the blacked out faces, I used to have an early (possibly first) edition copy that had to be removed from sale because there were many faces not blacked out. Someone 'borrowed' it and failed to return it though.
Yes, Bandit Country is excellent. Toby Harnden had to use a number of pseudonyms e.g. "The Surgeon" for arch-baddie Sean Gerard Hughes because at the time Hughes had no criminal record (despite being known to have been personally responsible for lots of murders). Not any more - he got done with benefit fraud a couple of years back. Ironic, murdering cnut.

If you've been there then you might be interested in this book. Castles of Ulster, a photographic journey through some of the, now gone, bases in NI.