• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Northern Ireland Book

'A Long Long War; Voices of the British Army in Northern Ireland, 1969-98' is now available at Waterstones and Borders etc. It is also available on-line at Helion, Amazon, Play.com etc.

It is very pro-squaddie and features over 500 stories, from virtually EVERY Regiment.

The second book - also a squaddies eyeview of the troubles is underway and I need more contributions so that the soldier's story of the forgotten war continues to be told.
Part One: Belfast (separate chapters on Murph/Turf/Andy's Town/ Ardoyne/ Falls etc
Part Two: Londonderry (separate chapters on Bogside/Creggan/Fountains, Gob etc
Part Three: Rural Ulster (separate chapters on XMG, Belleek, Lisnaskea, Omagh etc)
Part Four: Mainland and European attacks
Part Five: Loved ones speak out.

The next 3 events are as follows:

Edinburgh: Blackwells bookshop : June 27
Brecon RRW museum: July 12
Leeds: Waterstones: August 7

Ken Wharton

Saw the cover to Long Long War in Waterstones back in May, picked it up, read the cover & promptly bought it. Excellent read & brought back a lot of buried memories. Highly recommended to anyone who was there or has a passing interest in what it was like in the bad old days.

Pete

Pete, Thanks, mate; very flattered. If you would like to do a piece or two for the second book, have a look at www.squaddiesvoices.com

Best wishes, mate

Ken

Civvie mates share a few experiences
Squaddie mates share a lifetime of experiences no civvie could ever dream of

Didnt know about book, will be buying it tomorrow, Good luck with the 2nd one Ken, will get that when it comes out.

Bill

Thank you, mate; after reading it, perhaps you would like to write down some of your experiences for me please ? Look at www.squaddiesvoices.com

I have events planned in Edinburgh, Brecon, Leeds and London.

Best wishes, mate

Civvie mates share a few experiences
Squaddie mates share a lifetime of experiences no civvie could ever dream of

Soundings like a cracking read!!!

Now that the `War` is over, why not go the whole hog & cover the entire campaign, 1969-2007?

Just a thought.

Got it last week and is a very good read.
One minor gripe though...no interviews with anyone from my Bn over the 5 tours weve done just in my time.

modwatchdog said:
Soundings like a cracking read!!!

Now that the `War` is over, why not go the whole hog & cover the entire campaign, 1969-2007?

Just a thought.
That is a great idea..

I am currently serving in the Province and served there in 1993 also, yet to be honest, I still have a limited knowledge of what the troubles where all about and why such animosity there was towards British troops..

After 19 years in the Army, I should really know this, but a book covering the whole period as suggested above would be a terrific read.

Will be going out to buy 'A Long Long War' this weekend.

I also managed to get hold of the classic 'Harrys Game' by Gerald Seymour which is also a cracking read.