Northern Ireland Basing Plan

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by barbs, May 23, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not Restricted

• Military personnel in Northern Ireland will in future be based in eleven core sites.
    • HQ 8 Infantry Brigade will close in August 2006 and its units will come under command of HQ 39 Infantry Brigade.
    • HQ 107 (Ulster) Brigade will be subsumed into HQ 39 Infantry Brigade on 15 December 2006, and the latter will transform into a new non-deployable regional HQ in Lisburn on 1 August 2007
    • 19 Light Brigade Headquarters and some of its units will be based in Northern Ireland, forming up during 2007 and 2008

Northern Ireland’s peacetime garrison of no more than 5,000 Regular Army and Royal Air Force personnel will be housed in eleven core sites after security normalisation is complete. Additionally, some 2,400 Territorial Army and reserve forces personnel will be based at several other sites across Northern Ireland.

The Defence Secretary announced on 28 March 2006 that 19 Light Brigade, currently based in Catterick, would be relocated to Scotland and Northern Ireland. Headquarters 8 Infantry Brigade based at Ballykelly will close in August 2006 and its units will come under command of Lisburn-based Headquarters 39 Infantry Brigade. Northern Ireland’s Territorial Army brigade, Ballymena-based Headquarters 107 (Ulster) Brigade, will also be subsumed into 39 Infantry Brigade on 15 December 2006 and the latter will transform into a new regional brigade headquarters in Lisburn on 1 August 2007.

Taking account of these changes, the Ministry of Defence (MOD) has considered its future need for military estate in Northern Ireland once security normalisation is complete. Armed Forces Minister, Mr Adam Ingram, announced on 10 May 2006 that the following sites are to be retained:

- RAF Aldergrove, Antrim;
    - Thiepval Barracks, Lisburn;
    - Abercorn Barracks, Ballykinler;
    - Palace Barracks, Holywood;
    - Massereene Barracks, Antrim;
    - Kinnegar Logistic Base, Holywood;
    - Ballykinler Training Camp;
    - Magilligan Training Centre;
    - Duke of Connaught Unit, Belfast (a hospital wing);
    - Laurel Hill House, Coleraine (an adventure training centre, retained subject to a review of adventure training provision);
    - Divis Mountain mast, Belfast (a hilltop communication site).

There is no long term requirement for the following bases:

- Shackleton Barracks, Ballykelly which is therefore set for closure in April 2008 when 2nd Battalion, The Princess of Wales’ Royal Regiment, departs.
    - St Lucia Barracks, Omagh will close by July 2007 when the Royal Irish Regiment (Home Service) battalions disband.
    - St Patrick’s Barracks, Ballymena will close by no later than 31 March 2008 by which time the last Home Service personnel will have been discharged or transferred.

All other bases used by the military in support of the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) will close by 31 July 2007 as a result of the process of security normalisation begun in August last year, and in accordance with the plan published by the MOD on 28 March 2006.

The Joint Declaration by the British and Irish governments of 2003 committed the Ministry of Defence to the closure and disposal of all ‘campaign’ sites used by the military by 1 August 2007, and a reduction in the military presence to a long term garrison of no more than 5,000 full-time military personnel based in no more than 14 named core sites. It has now been decided that only eleven of those sites are needed for the new peacetime garrison.

Units of the Regular Army’s 19 Light Brigade will form up in Northern Ireland during 2007 and 2008. 19 Light Brigade will be permanently based in Northern Ireland and Scotland but its component units will be liable for deployment to meet the Government’s global defence commitments.

The MOD will continue to support the PSNI as and when required, but not necessarily with the use of those military personnel based in Northern Ireland.
  2. The government can't close these bases quick enough..........................
    An era in British Army history appears to be coming to a close.
    Generations of soldiers have frequented the portals of the emerald isle. Most returned......some did not.
  3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I was working in Bessbrook a few weeks ago & could see the Puma flying up to the OP & carting stuff back down in the sling.Talk is Queens Uni is taking over Besbrook Mil.
    Gerry & Martin's laugh in must be very,very happy! After years of violence,they've achieved their aim in a couple of years compared to years of senseless killing.
    I just hope it does'nt blow up again! Then the sh1te will realllly hit the fan!
  4. Course it will blow up again, give it time and they wont get what they want and things will change for the worse. Unfortunately the RUC are going to be left on a whim because they wont have the support they need.

Edited for spelling
  5. no where west of the bann? i still cant belive they aren't keeping either Omagh, Enniskillen, Armagh, Londonderry or Ballykelly!

6. Agreed, it will raise it's ugly head again. Adams and his lickspittle McGuinness will see to that. :x

It will be a shame that the now castrated PSNI will have to bat on it's own. However that's the role that they will have to do and get used to again. Times are tough and the army is pig sick of working as a police force under MACP.

If I never saw the place again it would be too soon 8O

7. So effectively what's being said "all troops will be withdrawn to predominantly Unionist areas, where the locals Won't object"

The only exception to the above being Divis. About which I won't speculate.
  8. fu*k sake the IRA have the MOD wraped round there baby finger they should have kept the watch towers to keep an eye on the border and to keep an eye on IRA activity
  9. What IRA?
  10. Republican Shite

A bit out of date but I'm sure the mood hasn't changed.

An exceptional definition of what they call a 'predominately built up area'.

Worth a read especially the revelation what you can pick up and carry on your boots.
  11. Shurely that is now a police responsibility and no longer an Army one.
  12. Barbs - I actually wrote a response similar to your reply about an hour ago and thought 'Nah - everyone must know that!'

It seems that the rationale behind normalisation is not getting through to people...
  13. It does look very urban :D

14. "Normalisation" is getting through fine, however....

I feel, and your milage may vary, that the closures announced go beyond "normalisation", particularly with reference to the closure of Shakleton.

As for 19 Light Brigade being stationed in "Northern Ireland & Scotland", does this mean we can expect to see troops, not in the SCA role on fieldex within NI?

I rather think that will not be the case.