Northen ireland v Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by five-minute-fagbreak, Mar 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. this is not meant to be a reason to have a go at each other-or me!
    Its just a thought, when I went to NI as a very young 18 year old nig, boy I shat myself! Walking those streets-not knowing who to trust/shoot!
    Were those days any easier than being in the desert? I don't think so.....any comment's? an pleeez don't give me sh*t its only a thought :)

2. I suspect there's not quite so many tea stops in the Stan. :roll:

3. Dont think you can compare the two really

Dont know what the average firefight was in NI but i will guess at about 30 mins to an hour max compared to 5 to 10 hours in afghan at a guess.

4. I'm not sure what I mean, but I think it's the fear of what might happen, rather than knowing whats over the hill or whatever...

5. Bugger, I thought this was going to be the latest score!!

6. It is hard to compare, as there are so many differencies both on the ground and the tactics to suceed.

In Ulster, we could have finished it by the mid 70's had both the political will and it was not seen as the best training site for the UK troops in the world at that time.

As for Stan, WILL that every be won? I doubt in my lifetime and that's no reflection on the troops, it reflects the lack of this governments support in financies and all round support for the troops on the ground.

What is the same is the disregard shown by the government of the day to the extreem hard work done by the few!

7. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

How many times? You must have been popular
    :lol:

8. Personally Afghanistan feels more hostile. It's far easier to judge characters in N.I than Afghanistan, language and body language obviously worlds apart. If you're not welcome in an area in N.I if lucky you'd be pelted with stones & molotov cocktails. No such luxury in Afghanistan. Then for the new joes rather than being in a "normal" high street in Belfast, in Afghanistan you find yourself patrolling huts and mud walls, not the norm by far. I felt Afghanistan to be a much more demanding environment not physically but mentally. I'm sure others feel different though.

9. In the words of Harry Hill

"There's only one way to be sure... FIGHT!"

10. I have so much respect for the geezer/ess's in Afghanistan. Same shit -different times, think the troops now are really earning their queens shilling :salut:

11. I for one, am awed at what our guys are experiencing in Afghanistan however, 102 British soldiers Killed in just 1 year, with over 3000 injured (1972) in NI! Throughout the 70's we were running at around 50 - 70 soldier deaths a year and more! I have a feeling that civvie deaths and injuries were far higher than many realise! But you are dead right, NI is and will always be a totaly different war than Afghanistan and that it most certainly was. I guess both deployments were shitty for many and at times not so shitty for others.

12. Bit more sand in Afghan too!

13. And a bit more Guiness in Ireland to! :wink:

14. Not many of the players in Northern Ireland were willing commit suicide...

15. Don't know about anyone else, but I spent a considerable time in NI, (Yes on patrols), and never fired a shot. Was I scared at times, sure, did I end up in 10 hour fire fights, clearly not.

Did I live in fear of death, no, but at times things got fairly hairy. I suspect that those serving in Afghan don't either, (As it will never happen to me syndrome).

We always went back to barracks, not back to a sandbag, or hot tent, or cold tent, depending on what time you get back from patrol.

Suppose the real question is, who is more or less brave. Neither. All serve equally, if you were to ask the generation from World War II, they would be respectfull of this generations sacrifice, but they served (If they lived long enough), for five years. So in essence my hat goes off to us all, but having said that, and to use an older mans phrase, 'boy we have not lived'.

Lest we forget.

Ultimately, everything is relative. I have hung up my spurs nowheredays and being a little older, watch the telly in total respect at what the boys and girls are doing, but with the quiet understanding, that had the same befallen my service, I would be stood next to my mates.

Notty.