North & South Korea tension

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by beemer007, May 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just read this on the Telegraph. I hate being thread-scooped on Arrse!

But this puts those 50,000 troops sitting on the North Korean side of the fence in perspective...a build up which has taken them just under 10 years.

I bet sales will go up now that the world can see how well it works! :D

North Korean Statement
  2. Do you remember the cruise missile crisis? The Soviets threatened dire consequenses if the American planes carrying cruise missiles to the UK even took off. Then (to our shame) a UK civil servant told the world what the take-off time would be. They took off on time, and there was no war. So if the North Koreans are typical communists, I think we can cheerfully ignore them. Sanctions have never bothered them in the past, so why would they bother now?
  3. The problem is how long can the north actually maintain a war for? Food and fuel especially will be in limited supply, and their air force will most likely be decimated in a few days given their reported training levels.
    Would China support them this time? Would their be a high level coup quite early on by senior officials who actually know the state of the country and the risks it faces by committing to war. Mind you I know there is a big fear in the south of not just war, but of a successful war causing millions or norks to move south looking for a handout, and I've no doubt the the south Koreans have studied the effects of the reunification of the 2 Germanys and the lessons which should be learnt from that debacle.
    Lots of questions, very few definate answers.
  4. Define: Black Swan

Basically, it's something that everyone thinks will never happen and then when it does happen, everyone nods and goes "oh yeh, well it was obvious!"
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

It could get messy. The original idea was for further sanctions and a ban on ordering goods from the North. However, old wonwey-boy has now said that will be asking for all out war.

TBH, I think that's what he wants, or then again, maybe China has told him "huff and puff all you like sunshine, but if you go to war, you're on your own for supplies and the like".
  6. I suspect China would like NK to stay as an independant state as would the south. Greater freedoms and trade perhaps, but a political unification would be upsetting for far too many parties.
    NK would take years to even bring up to speed with the modern world, and their citizens would require a degree of un-brainwashing just as great (but less forceful) as the process that made them as they are in the first place.
  7. The Germans latest torpedo is much better.
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

You mean the unterwasserleiserhochgeschwindigkeitsturbopimmel?
  9. I'm getting fucking sick of NK - lets just have em out...

Can you see my tongue in my cheek... right?
  10. :D
  11. Heres a thought to make you all happy, we're part of the armistice commission and have representatives in the ROK for that reason (thats why the DA is a 1*). If it kicks off again, we're likely to be called on to go, and we'd be obliged to do so.
  12. SK does'nt want to sort out NK
    china does'nt want to share a land border with US forces
    its a mess
  13. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

I was at the torpedo press conf this AM, and our Brig was there in full fig - along with a lot of pretty hard looking ROK generals.

But as for the Norks threatening war - please. When you are discussing this regime, best to seperate rhetoric from reality.

My understanding is that the Norks are very good at assymetric pinpricks, but if it came to all out war, they are finished, kaput.
  14. Source: Wikipedia (of course!) but I am sure there is more than an element of truth....

But you are right. They probably couldn't even muster a Battalion. :D 8O