North Korean sub missing

N Korea has lost one of its boats.

Think resulting docudrama may have "They're all dead in their Yellow Submarine" as the opening toon?

Probably defecting so they can get fed....

Source?

Not a nice way to go, regardless of who you work for. I loathe their regime, I have sympathy for their sailors lost in this way.

There's been some speculation that it was sunk (more than normal) as a warning against any more nuclear sabre-rattling by Fat-Boy. I wonder if anyone would consider that less of a risk than just letting them bump their gums as per SOP.

Source?

Not a nice way to go, regardless of who you work for. I loathe their regime, I have sympathy for their sailors lost in this way.
I suppose any offers of assistance, assuming it is in a position to be assisted, will be refused.

Options:

- remember the storyline of Red October - it may quietly turn up in Hawaii, then some where else.
- it got too close to the arrse end of a US boomer and was taken out during routine evasive countermeasures. (I've read Red October and watched the fillum)
- it is a splendiferous example of N Korean tech and ingenuity.

The People of North Korea thank you Jim30 for your kind words .
Spider - had you ever served in your life, you'd understand that some things transcend international relations disputes.

Dying in the dark, in a submarine with no hope of escape or rescue and dying one of the most horrific and unpleasant deaths imaginable because your near lunatic leader is hellbent on trying to prove he is almost as big a penis as you Spider isnt something anyone would wish on others.

Try showing some common human decency for once in your life.

Do NKorean subs have no means of escape then?
They are russian era so likely to have escape chambers but highly unlikely to be usable. There is no submarine rescue capability i know of either. History of submarine problems suggests if she's gone down those poor lads arent going up again alive. Not nice at al .

Do NKorean subs have no means of escape then?
On that note
Assuming its in water to deep to swim from, how many countries are in a position that they could lend assistance* ? Moreover does anybody think fat boy would actually swallow is pride and ask the US for help rather than see needless deaths.

*US and UK / NATO** operate for want of a better terms Rescue subs but who else does?

** I seem to recall that the UK one is jointly owned or some such.

Just in case anyone unaware
"Under the rules" an unidentified submarine detected submerged in the territorial waters of another nation is a legitimate target and may be legally attacked without any preliminaries

On that note
Assuming its in water to deep to swim from, how many countries are in a position that they could lend assistance* ? Moreover does anybody think fat boy would actually swallow is pride and ask the US for help rather than see needless deaths.

*US and UK / NATO** operate for want of a better terms Rescue subs but who else does?

** I seem to recall that the UK one is jointly owned or some such.
Good question. In theory the UK or US could potentially offer but its likely the koreans would outright refuse the offer due to their paranoia. You'd need to find the hull get the LR5 submersible out there, put into position and effect a rescue quickly which given we have never worked with the KPA in any way would be beyond chance. Without wanting to sound fippant if the crew were alive I wouldnt put it past then to assume they were being boarded when the rescue came and kick off as a result. Sadly I suspect this is game over for them.