North Korea

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DesktopCommando, Mar 26, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. U.S., China soften tone, say to work together on North Korea
    Anybody who has been following this will know that the rhetoric from Tillerson was strong up to meeting in Japan and seems now to be working towards a joint appriach now he is in China. Less of the military response, more to seek a response working together.

Looking to restart the talks and together get N Korea to "make a course correction and move away from the development of their nuclear weapons."

Looks like Xi will be in Washington soon:
    E2A: Top South Korean presidential candidate would review THAAD process - advisers
    Moon will review deployment of THAAD if and when he gets in

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. North Korea's Kim Jong Un says engine test is 'new birth' of rocket industry
    DPRKs response is the alleged successful testing of a new missile engine. According to KCNA: "He emphasised that the whole world will soon witness what eventful significance the great victory won today carries,"

3. Exclusive: Trump administration weighing broad sanctions on North Korea - U.S. official
    Increase in sanctions on the cards. Military action still a possibility apparently:
    Couple of interesting points:
    N Korea video shows US aircraft carrier on fire
    Plus a bit of propaganda from the DPRK:
    [​IMG]

4. North Korea could be in final stages of nuclear test preparations: report
    Looks like N Korea is about to test another nuke. That's a rocket engine test and another nuke test. Those sanctions don't appear to be working:

5. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

I seem to have read recently that one of Kim's latest rockets went bang rather early.

6. And their nukes have rather less yield than advertised but the Chinese populace in the North are seriously worried that NK will trigger a war with the US and they will be down wind of the fall out. The Chinese public know that the assassination of Kim's brother and the awarding of US asylum to his son, have lost China a couple of major 'for use in emergency' assets and evidently that nothing can be taken for granted.

China will do all it can to work with the US to sort out....something....on NK before something even madder happens,

• Like Like x 2
  7. I am thinking the solution will be military - whether that comes soon, probably not. China need to leash their pet or deal with the ramifications.

8. I think the parties in the neighbouring countries would prefer an assassination or coup, if they can arrange it. North Korea can't defeat South Korea, but they can cause massive civilian casualties and damage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 4
  9. I think sanctions don't tend to work in dictatorships. So long as fat boy gets his 10 square meals a day, he won't care.

Bring on the nuclear tests. Let them use up plutonium nuking themselves.

My contacts inside North Korea have supplied the report for the next test ahead of schedule:-

1 The nukes are the size of a house and won't be going on the end of a missile unless the Yanks sell us some surplus Apollo moon rockets.

2 Hydrogen bomb my arrse. It's boosted fission and it aint boosted very much.

3 If your chubby paw reaches for the big red button you'll unexpectedly commit suicide by shooting yourself in the back of the head.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Turn off the valves and James Bond films mate, you officially have dementia t

11. Trump will meet with China's President Xi in Florida in a few days. U.S. ready to stand alone against North Korea, Trump says

Trump has said that the US will act alone if China does not go along with US plans for North Korea.
    The two are expected to discuss a number of issues aside from North Korea, including trade and the South China Sea.
    Trump said that if China helps out the US with North Korea, then it "will be very good for China". Trump also said that if China doesn't help the US on this "it won't be good for anyone". I'm still trying to square the latter statement with Trump's declaration of being willing to act alone.
    However, despite a number of issues aside from North Korea being at stake, Trump isn't going to bring up trade tariffs at this time.
    Trump likes to talk about being a deal maker. It will be interesting to see just what China will want in return for making a deal on North Korea. I imagine it would have to be both something fairly major as well as something that the US couldn't easily renege upon later.