North Korea, is China teasing Japan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ugly, Jan 12, 2018.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It is no secret that the Chinese hold a grudge against the Japanese. The Chinese have a thing about history, the last 400 years being in a Chinese politicians mind as relevant as this morning in a western politicians mind.
    Given that and the serious going over that the Chinese underwent at the hands of the Japanese in the last century is there any merit in the claim that the Chinese are using the North Koreans to keep defence spending high in that region and force the Japanese/South Korean/US economies to suffer from increased defence spending?

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Yes.

• Like Like x 3
  3. The Chinese play a long game.
    The last 20 years has seen them expand to probably the largest producer of manufactured goods.
    They are shortly going to try to turn economic domination into world domination.
    I hope I won't be around to see it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. That was a short thread then......

• Funny Funny x 4
  5. If I say what would have happened if China had gone with the SLR it may prolong it.certainly get a few olds if that helps

6. This is the Chinese century as much as the last one belonged to the USA.

Hopefully they'll just try to dominate with soft power rather than hard.

A great moment for the UK to decide to deliberately weaken itself due to a bout of exceptionalism

7. Judging by history and the cultural revolution, that’s some hope.

8. Dont forget, man with hole in pocket feels cocky all day long.

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. I would have thought the bigger aim would be to get the US and allies to back down on their military presence in the region, allowing China more "freedom" to expand in the region as I can't see them managing to put that much of a dent in these economies, especially the US, with their spending as it is.

I mean, in the longer term, they would be spending the same anyway thanks to the Chinese expansion and Moscow's willy waving so there wouldn't be much of a difference there, but getting more influence in the region has to be something they would want.

10. I there is to be war I don't think Japan directly is the target, they want the South China sea for themselves for oil exploration hence all the man made islands they're building there to be used as forward bases to extend there military presence there and effectively own it and exploit it

But one big economic crash and I can't see China staying the same, and they don't have the complete control over their citizens that they want even now. We might see some sort of democracy in China eventually, they have a huge mobile population, that will be quick to unrest if their economy ever unravels

Take the whole great firewall of China, it has limited success, people get round it with VPNs and some of those must be aware of the world outside China, they can see they don't have to be controlled that way

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Over time the number of Chinese who have experienced the free society outside must surely grow. The result depends on how comfortable those people continue to be, i.e. whether at home they are able to make money in peace.

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Aren't the Chinese the biggest investors in the US economy? It wouldn't take much to make the US economy bomb spectacularly.

13. And that would be a classic case of "cutting off your nose, etc".

Why kill off a good source of income?

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The Chinese think long term is hundreds of years not a handful. A bit of pain now would benefit them greatly in the longer game.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Not as much as getting their paws deeper into what can be argued to be one of the biggest markets in the world.

If you can't beat 'em, take 'em over, and if you do it slowly and they won't even realise how much you've done that until it's too late.