North Korea claims nuclear test

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Chalky, Oct 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bugger.

Well, the next few months are going to be fun, eh?

2. I believe that Japan will seek to go Nuclear now and we will have an arms race in the region which I don't see as a bad thing as so long as a balance of terror is maintained.
    The key is China which fears a nuclear Japan and the loss of being the single nuclear power in the region.
    Would China encourage a coup in the DPRNK? Or work with the existing status quo?

3. The only nation on earth to suffer the direct effects of nuclear weapons acquiring them for their own use?

Unlikely. The Japanese are having a hard enough time using their conventional forces in anything other than a self-defense capacity, never mind the debate about having buckets of sunshine lying around the place.

4. So what are the options now? I don't belive Japan will sit idly by, Japan is a trading nation with limited natural resources of it's own an advanced nuclear industry. Any instability in the region threatens it's future prosperity and it will not allow it's old rival China a free hand.
    Japan will need to act, it has little choice.

5. Japan, as their PM has just restated, is pinning its hopes on the Missile Defense Shield it is developing in conjunction with the US; an approach much more in keeping with their national doctrine.

6. While you were sleeping: clicky! :wink: