North Korea - another front.

A few weeks ago, they were supposed to be at war and waiting for the shooting to start - now, nothing for almost a month. Could this be a manufactured crisis?

Given their isolation and the relative population balance, I doubt their capabilities are anywhere near those being ranged against them.

Who know. Mablee assee hlas bleen infilltlaated?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
didn't they have some big airborne laser thing MI6 sorted out?

we know they were behind all the wmds we invaded dirkadirkastan to deal with. rumbsfelt admitted as much in his we know but we dont know what we know speech - I think :)

considering the size of the NK army and the short distance required to get to seoul even tom clancy would have trouble writing up an instant american win.

I think china would stay out of it unless we crossed the border again like they did the last time. they might object to too many foreign troops though - not that there are many to send except from nations with a history of butting heads with china

I would doubt North Korea could make any move without Chinese permission. It strikes me that North Korea are the proxies for China as Bulgaria used to be for the USSR.

I don't imagine the Chinese trust the North Koreans with anything that could be used back against them when they try to reign in Pyongyang.

If they're that sharp then they'll have spotted in advance the bit where they say, "Do what we say, Mr Kim, or we'll cut off the grain shipments" and he replies, "Remember how good you've made me at disrupting other country's economies and hacking their systems?"

I would doubt North Korea could make any move without Chinese permission. It strikes me that North Korea are the proxies for China as Bulgaria used to be for the USSR.
Not sure I agree - either the new leader has become a sock puppet for the Chinese and helps in Chinese belligerence - and there is plenty of that at the moment or they are off the leash; world be warned.

Not sure I agree - either the new leader has become a sock puppet for the Chinese and helps in Chinese belligerence - and there is plenty of that at the moment or they are off the leash; world be warned.
The new leader is leader in name only I believe. His uncle and aunt pull his strings. In that part of the world age and experience matter, no large company will have a chairman under sixty and the CEO is usually around the same age. Its part of the culture, people feel comfortable only with those who have experience and that comes only with age. He's a figure head for the real power holders, and they're more than happy to wield their power unseen.
That the Chinese are increasingly belligerent is a very worrying development. I don't believe North Korea is off the leash, they may be pulling at the leash but their Chinese masters still have their North Korean dog firmly under control.

South Korean computer security is generally considered to be abysmal. As one example, banking security still extensively uses Microsoft ActiveX, which most of the rest of the world abandoned (if they every used it) years ago because it was such a massive and un-fixable security hole. Either security just doesn't seem to be a priority for the South Koreans, or they don't have enough people who really understand complex software systems.

South Korea is probably one of the softer targets out there among the more developed countries. The fact that the North Koreans were able to find security holes in South Korean computer systems doesn't necessarily put the North Koreans at the top of the hacking leagues.

Of course the security of commercial systems in China is probably even worse, as everybody there seems to be running pirated versions of Windows XP without security updates, and with every virus known to man running simultaneously in the background. However, the Chinese do have a more traditional security response available to deal with any North Korean naughtiness directed at them; it involves just giving the North Koreans a few swift kicks somewhere tender.

If they're that sharp then they'll have spotted in advance the bit where they say, "Do what we say, Mr Kim, or we'll cut off the grain shipments" and he replies, "Remember how good you've made me at disrupting other country's economies and hacking their systems?"
Is it North Koreans doing it or Chinese within North Korea operating kit they won't let the North Koreans get a look at? The North Koreans get the blame, the Chinese look clean and earn brownie points in the west by promising to rein in their North Korean puppets.