North East Signals?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by james108, Jun 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Arrser's,

I have had various interviews and attended various drill nights for many units in the north east but I need some guidance.

Is there any TA units in the North East which carry out IT and Comms, I recently applied for 742 access tp which has now disappeared. I recently spent about an hour with 5MI at Gateshead weighing in my options etc. After our chat I have concluded that either there is no IT and Comms TA units within the North East or looking at another tri-service is my best bet.

So far I have looked at:
    103 field sqn (they have a signals but no free slots and they do not do comms per se)

5MI after a rather in depth and informative chat (I gotta say this guy WO2 was the only one to sit down and chat about it) and directed me towards Navy CALLIOPE base at Gateshead as the best option.

I have spoken to 299 para, but have not been to one of their drill nights or spoken to anyone in person.

My options are:
    Speak to 299 para about the signal or comms section, although I am not sure they have any IT and Comms. Is it still worth trying for this unit?

Look at the Navy which for various reasons would not be ideal for various as former ATLAS staff the Navy and "them" do not get on. It was the same with 5MI in gateshead originally so I am hesitant to try them (look at previous post).

Look at the air force for IT and Comms.

This seems the best place to post this, as I would definately prefer to become part of the TA Army. Is there any TA units doing IT and Comms or is it just not in the north east? Should I just look at the Navy or give up here?

Have I set my hopes too high to try and get into It and Comms right away, should I be looking at just infantry?
  2. msr

msr LE

Join your local unit and do something different at the weekend. Get IT skills in the rest of your free time.

3. icecold

icecold Clanker Reviewer

Have you tried 5 RRF? They have a Signals Platoon down in Durham I think.