North and South Korea squaring up?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BuggerAll, Apr 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The DPRK is threatening to confiscate hundreds of millions of Dollars worth of property owned by South Korean Companies in a spat over who knows what.

Fortunately this presents no threat to Britain or our interests. We know that because in Brown's green paper on Defence he said that there were no threats to British interests. This is also very fortunate because if it did present us with a threat there is probably the square route of not-a-lot that we could do about it.

Also fortunate because quite frankly I don't particularly want to go to war with the DPRK. There is a possibility that they may collapse like a pack of cards but there is also the possibility that they might actually be extremely tenacious and it could turn out to be a very nasty war indeed.

It is possible to wonder if the kindest thing might not be to nuke them from the outset.

2. The Republic of Korea`s(South) government are playing down the likely fact that their navy ship lost last month was the result of North Korean action.

As you say,things could hot up suddenly with global implications.

3. You might find this of some interest:
    North torpedoed the ship...

-OCS-

I agree with the OP it could be a very nasty war if it happened but I don't see it happening at the minute. Let's just nuke 'em just to be on the safe side
    :wink:

4. -Dons geek hat-

Only the third ship sunk by a sub since WW2, I believe.

5. I take it you aren't counting trawlers and other assorted fishing boats then? (Allegedly)!

6. Fair point :D

7. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

I spoke to someone pretty senior in USFK on the night this occured, and he said nobody there was really concerned. That view has changed since they raised the stern: It was def an external explosion.

I had dinner with a senior S Korean official tonight, and he was telling self and fellow hacks that after the 1968 commando attack on the S Korean presidential manse, then President Park Chung-hee - a bit of a hard man; His early military training was in the Imperial Jap Army - ordered the ROK Air Force to bomb the Nork special forces base - but the Americans restrained them (After the spectacular failure of the commando attack, of course, the Norks seized the USS Pueblo, so the Americans were in a bid of a bind, with their crew in enemy hands.)

So I am getting the sense that the government here is not going to take this lying down.

There again, it may take a while to find the smoking gun. The official mentioned above cited the issue of a British ship sunk by a mine in either the 40s or 50s (a case I was not familiari with) when it apparently took two years to definitely finger the culprit - Albania.

8. Thank God! Tony "My War" Blair has left the scene.

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I have it on very good authority that there is no need to maintain our current defence budget as there is no proven evidence of a threat to the UK or its interests; and nor is there any likelyhood of the UK being engaged in anything other than COIN ops for the foreseeable future.

The story that North and South Korea may be squaring up is a non-story in terms of our future planning, as (unless it involves some COIN stuff, for which we plan to equip and budget) we won't be playing.

Any involvment we may in the unlikely event have will be with the grace and favour (and kind permission) of our strategic and materiel sponsors in the US of A.

You heard it here first.

10. There is one aspect which hasnt been brought up yet - China.

With them funding the majority of the United States' credit binge, they pretty much have their Balls in a vice.

Having said that, the US will stand by South Korea, will China stand by North Korea?

11. Probably the Corfu Channel Incident

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corfu_Channel_Incident

12. "will China stand by North Korea? "

Strangely China gets very sensitive if a outside enemy, The US, approaches her border.
    Are we not now remembering the War of early 50's.
    The Chinese warned then, The US ignored and the Poo hit the fan.
    john
    No way should UK be involved.

13. Guess that means we had best be packing our bags for a far eastern jolly then? :x

14. The main people to be concerned will be the South Koreans,the Japanese and the American forces stationed in North East Asia.

With the so-called Dear Leader apparently suffering from ill-health,the North Koreans will become even more unpredictable in the near future.Another famine this year in the north could be the tipping point.

15. Arrse baffles me.
    There seem so many Gunslingers just looking for a quick 'Get Massacred'.
    The UK government has consistently failed to equip Her Majesty's Armed Forces, for the counter insurgency wars Blair committed them to.
    Yet so many talk about what will turn into Full scale all out wars.
    UK cannot afford it's current small scale forces and come the next election Budgets will be slashed, the Present Happy times will be gone.
    john
    Have a Good war Gloworm.