North Africa Campaigns before Alamein

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by currymunter, Jan 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions about any good accounts of the British campaigns in North Aftrica before Monty came on the scene? e.g. Crusader etc.

2. Try The Desert Generals by Corelli Barnett. The book is almost 50 years old now, but it made his name as a historian. My copy is a Cassel Military Paperback ISBN 0-304 35280-2.

3. Barrie Pitt's series Crucible of War is pretty good too. Three volumes overall, came out in the 80s.

4. Agreed - Barrie Pitt's trilogy is the best (both readable and detailed)history from a British perspective. Crucible of War's three volumes are divided and subtitled by the three successive commanders: "Wavell's Command", "Auchinleck's Command" and "Montgomery & Alamein". All got reprinted 2001-2004 and are obtainable from Amazon for under a tenner each - just search for Barrie Pitt (note unusual spelling of Barrie).

5. Panzer Bait featuring the stories of 3 soldiers from 3 RTR tells their story from Calais, through Dunkirk, Crete then onto North Africa and Tobruk etc. Can't remember the exact details as it's been a while since i read it. Worth a read though.

6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

7. Here are a few.

- Alan Moorehead's "Desert War" is a Journalists account of the war.

- A ripping Yard from the other side. Schmidt, Heinz W. With Rommel in the Desert. London, Harrap, 1951. 240 p.

Two biographies of Rommel

Fraser, David. Knight's Cross: The Life of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel. New York, Harper Collins, 1993. 601 p.
    Book call no.: 92 R766f

and

Irving, David J. The Trail of the Fox. New York, Dutton, 1977. 495 p.
    Book call no.: 92 R766i

8. Try Richard Doherty's 'The Noble Crusade: The History of Eighth Army 1941 - 45' published by Spellmount 1999. Also the same author's 'The Sound of History: El Alamein 1942' (also Spellmount, 2002) which includes much useful info about the period before the final Battle of El Alamein. Barrie Pitt is excellent, as already noted, as is Barnett while you could also try Peter Bates' 'Dance of War: The Story of the Battle of Egypt', published by Pen & Sword, 1992. Bates was in the desert as a member of the NZ Div. Then there's 'Crusader: The Eighth Army's Forgotten Victory November 1941 - January 1942' by Richard Humble, published by Leo Cooper, 1987; 'Tobruk: The Great Siege Reassessed' by Frank Harrison, published by Arms & Armour, 1996; and 'The Early Battles of Eighth Army: CRUSADER to the Alamein Line 1941 - 1942' by Adrian Stewart, published by Leo Cooper, 2002.
    I wouldn't recommend anything by David Irving.

9. Try Richard Doherty's 'The Noble Crusade: The History of Eighth Army 1941 - 45' published by Spellmount 1999. Also the same author's 'The Sound of History: El Alamein 1942' (also Spellmount, 2002) which includes much useful info about the period before the final Battle of El Alamein. Barrie Pitt is excellent, as already noted, as is Barnett while you could also try Peter Bates' 'Dance of War: The Story of the Battle of Egypt', published by Pen & Sword, 1992. Bates was in the desert as a member of the NZ Div. Then there's 'Crusader: The Eighth Army's Forgotten Victory November 1941 - January 1942' by Richard Humble, published by Leo Cooper, 1987; 'Tobruk: The Great Siege Reassessed' by Frank Harrison, published by Arms & Armour, 1996; and 'The Early Battles of Eighth Army: CRUSADER to the Alamein Line 1941 - 1942' by Adrian Stewart, published by Leo Cooper, 2002.

10. Try Richard Doherty's 'The Noble Crusade: The History of Eighth Army 1941 - 45' published by Spellmount 1999. Also the same author's 'The Sound of History: El Alamein 1942' (also Spellmount, 2002) which includes much useful info about the period before the final Battle of El Alamein. Barrie Pitt is excellent, as already noted, as is Barnett while you could also try Peter Bates' 'Dance of War: The Story of the Battle of Egypt', published by Pen & Sword, 1992. Bates was in the desert as a member of the NZ Div. Then there's 'Crusader: The Eighth Army's Forgotten Victory November 1941 - January 1942' by Richard Humble, published by Leo Cooper, 1987; 'Tobruk: The Great Siege Reassessed' by Frank Harrison, published by Arms & Armour, 1996; and 'The Early Battles of Eighth Army: CRUSADER to the Alamein Line 1941 - 1942' by Adrian Stewart, published by Leo Cooper, 2002.