Normandy

Villers Bocage - worth popping into. My grandad was an anti-tank gunner there.
Good choice.

Other than the terrain, is there anything to see there? I ask because whenever I drag the wife to these kind of places me talking through an IPB isn’t too enjoyable for her. She likes the museum type stuff or monuments.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Good choice.

Other than the terrain, is there anything to see there? I ask because whenever I drag the wife to these kind of places me talking through an IPB isn’t too enjoyable for her. She likes the museum type stuff or monuments.
Don't forget that after viewing the Overlord fest at Arromanches, there's Bayeux and the tapestry a few miles inland. It didn't do anything for me but it kept Zero Alpha happy.

ugly

LE
Oui je veux dire vous, vous loon.

J'espère que vous et votre doris avez passé un bon moment quand vous êtes restés. Avez-vous envie de faire un peu de ce voyage avec moi? Newhaven à Deippe est votre passage le plus proche. Si vous pouvez apporter votre van, nous sommes venus faire la chose Aires d'une nuit.

Je sais que le français n'est pas parfait ... Qu'est-ce que tu vas faire?

ugly

LE
Le van est tristement hors de question, bien que ce soit un plan?

Villiers Bocage is worth a flying visit. A flying one is all you need as there isn't much to see unless your a geek. I had a copy of Panzers In Normandy from the after the batter series with me so i enjoyed being able to better visualise the actions around the village. The girlfriend at the time enjoyed the scenario for aesthetic reasons but was bored after 20 mins of looking at hills & fields etc.

Bayueax is well worth a visit on many levels. Its a lovely town with many nice little roads to meander down & enjoy a warm afternoon stroll.

Depending on the times of the ferry arriving at Dieppe (which in turn depends on the tides at Newhaven), we sometimes break the journey down to the Charente at the Campanile at Vire in Normandy. Cutting down from the A84 on the D577 to Vire, there is a crossroads at St Charles de Percy where there is a British War Cemetery (which I have not had a chance to visit). Looking it up on the CWGC website, I found that most of the graves were of Irish Guardsmen, but have not been able to find out which action caused the casualties. Can anyone shed any light on this? Vire is considerably to the South-West of Caen and Villers-Bocage and more towards the American sphere of operations, so they would seem to be away from the main British thrust east of Caen.

No there isn't really. The whole monuments and museums thing drops of fairly rapidly once you get away from the beaches and D/LZs.

If you can get over to Vimoutiers you can see their Tiger 1. Ausf.E It's just parked up on the roadside not far away from where they left it.

It's worth a look as it is a genuine relic from the battle of Normandy & the FalaiseGap. It's also the only surviving example of a small muzzle break Tiger 1 in the world. It belong to 503rd SS Panzer Abteilung and if my memory serves me correctly ran out of fuel so the crew blew it up by placing charges on the engine decks.

It's on the way out of the town and it's possible to picnic in the same area as the tank is displayed.

Vimoutiers Tiger

This book is interesting if you are interested in the German armour during the campaign:

This King Tiger (mentioned in the book) was also photographed by my late father-in-law and we still have his original photo.

In 2014 my wife and I managed to find the location in Le Plessis Grimoult with the help of the book and took our own photos.

Good choice.

No monuments or anything much. Town was bombed flat in July. Then had a bloody great motorway built on the east (uphill) side of it in the 80s and finally an out of town Mall in the late 90's.

Only two bits left still resembling what they looked like in 1944; The bend at the top end of Rue Clemenceau where Pat Dyas' Cromwell was knocked out duelling with Wittman, and the farm yard at point 112 213, where A Squadron were eventually overrun. If you cross south of the motorway though you can walk down the Montbrocq lane and visit Les Hauts Vents where the Tigers were lagered.

Last edited:
If you can find an aero club, and a pilot willing to take you for a flight along the coast at about 2000 feet, about half a mile inland, you'll get an amazing view of the bomb scars through the fields. The picric acid used in the explosives has ensured that nothing has ever grown where the bombs dropped, and the landscape is covered in lines of barren circles, and you can see how the sticks of bombs came out in a straight line from the bombers. You also get an amazing view of the beaches, and the war cemeteries, especially if you get the pilot to descend to the minimum 500 feet.

Did that myself. It's funny to see that the beachheads are now dominated by mussel farms. Also, some areas have been deliberately left unploughed, especially close to the enemy bunkers so you can immediately see how intense the naval bombardment was. the bocage has also been considerably cleared back and cut away for modern farming.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Don't forget that after viewing the Overlord fest at Arromanches, there's Bayeux and the tapestry a few miles inland. It didn't do anything for me but it kept Zero Alpha happy.
Sorry for quoting myself.

Bayeux Tapestry update. Be aware that UK and France have reached an agreement to tour the tapestry in the UK while renovations take place in Bayeux. Check before you go.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Sorry for quoting myself.

Bayeux Tapestry update. Be aware that UK and France have reached an agreement to tour the tapestry in the UK while renovations take place in Bayeux. Check before you go.
I rather liked the D Day Tapestry at the D Day Museum in Pompey, wanted to visit a while back but its closed for renovations

Depending on the times of the ferry arriving at Dieppe (which in turn depends on the tides at Newhaven), we sometimes break the journey down to the Charente at the Campanile at Vire in Normandy. Cutting down from the A84 on the D577 to Vire, there is a crossroads at St Charles de Percy where there is a British War Cemetery (which I have not had a chance to visit). Looking it up on the CWGC website, I found that most of the graves were of Irish Guardsmen, but have not been able to find out which action caused the casualties. Can anyone shed any light on this? Vire is considerably to the South-West of Caen and Villers-Bocage and more towards the American sphere of operations, so they would seem to be away from the main British thrust east of Caen.
I think it was Operation Bluecoat. The following are taken from "Armoured Guardsmen" by Robert Boscawen. Hope these might shed some light for you. Cemetery

20180711_001148.jpg
20180711_001057.jpg

Last edited:
St Charles de Percy CWGC is still classed as 'active' as far as I know which means they still bury any remains found in there.

On the main road from Estry to Vire there is still an odd looking house which was used as a temporary mortuary back in 1944.