• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Normandy

Okay chaps and chappesses I have a leave pass from OC domestic. That I can use later in the year. I am two hours drive from Caen and was thinking of getting over to hill 112 and Falaise.

I have visited the beaches and pegasus bridge. Are there any other places I can spend sometime looking/plodding around?

Thanks

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
if you drive up through to Falaise, the old castle is worth a visit just to see how much is missing, a few miles beyond their is a Sherman with a shell through the gun, and miles of woods to explore

One could always drop into Sainte-Mère-Église.

Okay chaps and chappesses I have a leave pass from OC domestic. That I can use later in the year. I am two hours drive from Caen and was thinking of getting over to hill 112 and Falaise.

I have visited the beaches and pegasus bridge. Are there any other places I can spend sometime looking/plodding around?

Thanks
Hill 112 is definitely worth a visit for the perspective, but do read up before you go and take a guide book/map with you. Unless things have changed dramatically in the past 18 months, there is previous little information/orientation at the site. About 4 years ago, one of the Royals dedicated a field gun as a memorial, but it had gone six months later apparently in a dispute about planning permission!

AfghanAndy

On ROPS
On ROPs

Thanks
Maisie battery.
The museum on Omaha beach.
Melville gun battery.

There’s also a massive OP tower at ouistrrham that’s worth a visit.

Edit. I forget the name of it but there’s four big above ground grub emplacements on top of a cliff. Ex French naval guns.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies folks.

I have decided to try and do the whole D-Day to VE day journey of one division (though the division I have chosen did not land on D-Day). Many moons ago I read a book about the 11th Black Bull division. I recall they had quite an exciting time.

So re-finding the book, research of the units involved. Then trying to find war diaries, then forming a route plan. Should be fun.

Hill 112 is definitely worth a visit for the perspective, but do read up before you go and take a guide book/map with you. Unless things have changed dramatically in the past 18 months, there is previous little information/orientation at the site. About 4 years ago, one of the Royals dedicated a field gun as a memorial, but it had gone six months later apparently in a dispute about planning permission!
Church cemetery nearby v moving for me - headstone after headstone bearing the Royal Ulster Rifles cap badge

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the replies folks.

I have decided to try and do the whole D-Day to VE day journey of one division (though the division I have chosen did not land on D-Day). Many moons ago I read a book about the 11th Black Bull division. I recall they had quite an exciting time.

So re-finding the book, research of the units involved. Then trying to find war diaries, then forming a route plan. Should be fun.
PM me your email address. I'll send a PDF of the history of 15/19H, 1939-45.

PM me your email address. I'll send a PDF of the history of 15/19H, 1939-45.
"Just a walk in the sun" by Robert Stanley Price is an account of one soldiers time from just after D Day through to VE day with 11 div. 15th/19th get quite a few mentions.
Well worth a read.