normandy veteran died at 17

Hi in 2005 I meat a cracking pair of old blokes that inspired me to join the Para reg. they also showed me the grave of their comrade who paid the ultimate sacrifice, on his grave it says he died at 19 but in actual fact he was 17. Can this be changed? Should it be changed? I hope so. His real age should be shown on his grave. Is there anything us arrses can do?

the pic is on my bebo site.... http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=4357359910&PhotoAlbumId=6451379629&PhotoId=6451382081

if you want better photo i will send via email

To my mind fella it should be changed. Maybe a whip round to replace the headstone, although you might need to consult the war graves commission.

http://www.cwgc.org/

I suspect you would need documentary proof and permission from any surviving relatives. (Not sure). But it would seem common sense to me.

If there is a collection, put me down for some cash.

You might like to migrate this threat to the charities section, once you have done your research.

Merry Christmas.

Sorry mate, tried to look at the photo, it says I am not authorised.

As I said, if I can help, give me a shout.

My mother is massively into geneology, so if his history needs researching, please let me know. All I need (If possible) is his full name, a DOB and obviously date of death, (I can't see that on the picture). If possible a town or area he came from would be helpful.

It may take her a while, but had my mother been born earlier she would of worked at Bletchley Park as a code breaker.

my msn is.... ************** feal free to add me who ever you are.

his details are

P.H.D.pooley
12th BN. Yorkshire
THE parachute Regiment
6th june 1944 age 19

he was only 17

Ok my friend, not sure you should of put your email addy on here, and I cannot advise you how to remove/edit or/hide it. (Someone will be able to). You may get all sorts of crackpots sending you emails now. If you do, delete your email addy/account or stop using it and get a new one.

Will pass the details onto the computer sleuth, it may take a while, but she, (My mother), will do her best.

Please send me a pm (Personal message) to confirm the details. I will not send the results of the information until I know who the recipient of the information is. No disrespect intended, just have to be careful in this day and age.

Merry Christmas.

My super sleuth has done her stuff and it appears, I am afraid that the age inscribed on the poor chaps headstone, is in fact correct.

I don't think I am breaking any board rules, revealing this information, given his untimely death, however, having checked and cross checked, my mother has confirmed the following details.

He was born in Manchester South, in either April, May, or June of 1925. Without sending for a copy of the birth certificate, (Which costs money), you cannot determine an exact date. She has checked the census' for the periods leading up to this period.

Apparently in those days, there was no legal requirement to register births within 6 weeks, as exists today.

His mothers maiden name was Sarjeant.

Given the dates, this would make him a minimum age of 19.

His personal details are;

POOLEY, PETER HENRY DAVID
Initials: P H D
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment/Service: Parachute Regiment, A.A.C.
Unit Text: 12th (10th Bn. The Green Howards [Yorkshire Regt.]) Bn.
Date of Death: 06/06/1944
Service No: 14416155
Additional information: Son of Samuel D. and Annie Pooley, of Levenshulme, Manchester.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: IA. B. 22.
Cemetery: RANVILLE WAR CEMETERY

You can request a copy of the birth cert, but given the above information, it seems a little pointless.

Sorry if this appears to end your quest, but at least there is a conclusion.

I would like to offer my condolances to the Pooley familly, and I promise to remember.

Two Old Soldiers at the grave of one of their fallen mates.

Very moving.

BFP you should be able to see an "edit" button if you look at your 05:12.

Best to remove email addy in case of hostile emails.

BB

baldy_fudge_packer said:
I cant belive they would just lie about their comrades age. i must have made a mistake, so the will be a wrongly marked grave out their still?

They were exelent lads, the bloke on the left taped the grave and said "hard lines Pooley"

hear is the photo again with the ox and bucks who landed at pegasus bridge

http://www.bebo.com/PhotoAlbumBig.j...10&PhotoAlbumId=6451379629&PhotoId=6456444629
so he was aac he flew a glider then?
I dont think they will be telling fibs fella. It was a long time ago. He may of looked very young for his age for example and time can play ahvoc with peoples memories.

You asked mate do I have any of the chaps details. Which details. other than the ones already provided, were you looking for?

baldy_fudge_packer said:
ok end of that then, i just wounder why they would have told me he was 17????

ps how did you find out his details?
Sorry missed that bit. To be totally honest I am not entirely sure as my mum does all that sort of stuff. She does it online using registrations of births, marriages and deaths as well as census infomation via 'Ancestry.com' and other geneology related websites. Quite a large community by all accounts. Anyway she has checked and cross checked and given her findings, and those dates as previously mentioned the youngest he could of been was 18, about to turn nineteen.

Hope that helps.

The problem know doubt has arisen from the date of birth he gave when he joined the Army. It this date they have marked on his grave. Birth certificates where chaned by scratching off a couple of digits of the birth certificate and then re writing it.

W.Anchor said:
The problem know doubt has arisen from the date of birth he gave when he joined the Army. It this date they have marked on his grave. Birth certificates where chaned by scratching off a couple of digits of the birth certificate and then re writing it.
Yep, but you can't change records of Births Deaths and Marriages and that's the source for his true date of birth.

As for him flying a glider, weren't the Paras and the Glider Pilot's regt part of the Army Air Corps? It's a bit like all the Cav Regts being part of the Royal Armoured Corps...