Normandy beaches by coach

Poppy

LE
I want to take my dad (aged 86) to a Normandy beaches tour by coach, preferably in a group. He walks slowly with a zimmer and is hard of hearing. I'm having trouble finding a company which do this - there are a few which will do a disabled friendly tour once you arrive. He has a folding wheelchair we can use if he needs it and ideally we'd have a firm which do coach pick up from near his home in Essex/East London border

I looked at a page called Sage travel which has a lot of handy hints. They said Leger Holidays so I got him a brochure but it doesn't seem to cover his needs.
I am currently learning to drive so may be ok to drive there next year but he's not getting any younger - and I'd quite like to be looked after for once!

any advice welcome

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Get in touch with RBL, they may know of suitable companies, especially following the DDay events of last year which must have needed these facilities.

this popped up on a pirate site this week.

Lonely Planet Normandy & D-Day Beaches Road Trips

47MB, so I cannot send it.

However....

longfiles option.
thank me later

Poppy

LE

Poppy

LE
this popped up on a pirate site this week.

Lonely Planet Normandy & D-Day Beaches Road Trips

47MB, so I cannot send it.

However....

longfiles option.
thank me later
thanks but that's road trips not organised coach trips

This is just a trip doomed to failure, you won't get more than 100 yards across before the coach sinks even if you do get a good run up Dover seafront.

As Auld-Yin said try the Legion. Not knowing where you live, see if you can find a RBL Drop in Centre. Give them a call or as the label says drop round.
If there’s not one around your area, give me a shout and send you the phone number of Lowestofts.

Poppy

LE
This is just a trip doomed to failure, you won't get more than 100 yards across before the coach sinks even if you do get a good run up Dover seafront.
you've seen through my cunning plan!!!!!

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I want to take my dad (aged 86) to a Normandy beaches tour by coach, preferably in a group. He walks slowly with a zimmer and is hard of hearing. I'm having trouble finding a company which do this - there are a few which will do a disabled friendly tour once you arrive. He has a folding wheelchair we can use if he needs it and ideally we'd have a firm which do coach pick up from near his home in Essex/East London border

I looked at a page called Sage travel which has a lot of handy hints. They said Leger Holidays so I got him a brochure but it doesn't seem to cover his needs.
I am currently learning to drive so may be ok to drive there next year but he's not getting any younger - and I'd quite like to be looked after for once!

any advice welcome
I've organised a D-Day beach trip for myself with Leger for May - D-Day Landings in Normandy
I'm taking the 5 day trip, leaving on a Monday, returning on a Friday.
I found this on their FAQ page, hope this helps:-
"We do have holidays that are suitable for wheelchair users, however the person using the wheelchair will need to be able to get on and off the coach if a coach tour is booked. Our coaches are not suitable for someone who is wheelchair reliant as we can only take folding wheelchairs that are stored in the luggage compartment.

We cannot guarantee that assistance will be available for the disabled person / wheelchair user and such bookings will only be accepted if that person is travelling with an able-bodied person who is fully able to attend to the needs of his/her co-traveller.

Passengers travelling by Eurostar in standard class seats must be able to walk 200 yards (183 metres) unaided. Please note; only collapsible wheelchairs are permitted on board standard class Eurostar coaches, as these must be stored in the luggage storage areas. Any passengers who are wheelchair reliant are required to be allocated in the 'Standard Premier' coaches where wheelchair user spaces are located. As these spaces are limited to 1 per train you must advise us immediately if you require them in order that we can reserve with Eurostar.

Excursions on our tours visit places of interest and public buildings. These may not be able to accommodate people with walking difficulties and wheelchair access may not be available. Excursions which include sightseeing tours may involve walking long distances and sometimes over cobbled or uneven surfaces.

The accommodation we use on our tours may not have ground floor rooms and in some instances lifts will not always be available. Occasionally access to your hotel may involve walking distances from the coach park and some hotels have a flight of steps to the Reception.

It is very important that checks are made with regard to the suitability of a tour for you prior to you make any booking with us."

Poppy

LE
thanks @Joker62 I'll contact them to see if it's suitable

Latest Threads