• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Normandy battlefield Tours

E

error_unknown

I want to organise a trip to Normandy in the next couple of weeks. Has anyone got and good links to battlefield tour web sites or know where I can get hold of scripts etc? ???

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
CC -

Try whatever the Tactical Doctrine Retrieval Cell is called nowadays.  Based somewhere in Upavon, they have copies of all sorts of old battlefield tour data. (They are useful for other stuff as well.  They have loads of after-action reviews and 'Lessons Learned' stuff).

Failing that, Motor Books in London (motorbooks.co.uk) are the best military bookshop I know, and have plenty of useful tour books.

I have some stuff from a couple of visits ref. GOODWOOD, or can put you in touch with the MoD Library in Whitehall.  They hold lots of good stuff, including a lot of unique records and after-action reviews.

DangerMouse

Old-Salt
"OldSnowy" is correct - the Tactical Doctrine Retrieval Cell (TDRC) is an excellence source of information.  I researched battlefield tours last year;  Normandy is a popular option, and TDRC have produced two CDROMs which they will loan to you for  you to copy.  They also have lots of other material, both for battlefield tours, and for general interest (if you're interested in doctrine  ;)).  My Regt's based right in the middle of all the "Battle for the Rheinland" area, and TDRC have tons of stuff on that area, too.  (SSVC have videos, too - check the MOD Audio Visual Resources Catalogue - should be in your Trg Wg).

Normandy is easiest to arrange than most other options, particularly from the UK, and getting guys away from the Regt can be an end in itself, so Normandy is probably the best option.

Anyway, here's TDRC contact info:  (further info about TDRC - what they hold, etc. - is at the back of most issues of Army Training and Doctrine News)

Tactical Doctrine Retrieval Cell (TDRC)
Room 152, Bldg 370
Trenchard Lines
Upavon
PEWSEY
SN9 6BE

Mil: 94344 xxxx
Civ: 01980 xxxx
AO: 5182
EO: 5058
RO2: 5215
Fax: 5683

CASH Addresses:
DGDD AA TDRC
DGDD CA EO TDRC
DGDD CA RO2 TDRC

Internet addresses:
tdrc.dgdd@gtnet.gov.uk
eotdrc.dgdd@gtnet.gov.uk

CGS

War Hero
Yes, DM...

What are you doing?  I got your email from work, and was surprised to see your career wish list to your OC!!!

L

LE_OC

General Robert Pascoe has organised a tour in June this year to Calais and Normandy. Calais and Pegasus Bridge are Battle Honours unique to his regiment, RGJ, and the Glider Pilot Regt (Pegasus Bridge). A five day tour and I believe it is open to all (not just greenjackets).

Get details from his website www.40-45.co.uk

DangerMouse

Old-Salt
CO@DLO / CGS...

I am busy training, but I'm also trying to arrange an expedition in summer, so while I was on the Army Mountaineering Association's website (www.theama.org.uk) I thought I'd drop by ARRSE, I saw CC's question and thought I'd help.

CO@DLO - How many different user IDs do you have on ARRSE?  You seem to have at least two...

My late father was one of the sappers attached to the Ox & Bucks who landed with John Howard etc at Pegasus Bridge and later became a Staff College Battlefield Tour guide. I still have his scripts for this particular location and hence if anyone wants a copy PM me.

Regards le Bashir.

I am mid arrangement at the moment, I am using a company called Galina, based in Chester, they seem to have a pretty good organisation.

Their number is 01244 340 777.

If anyone has used them before and had experience of them let me know.

Pato

El_Pato,

My old unit should be returning from a tour with the aforementioned on Friday, I'll grill the organiser and get some feedback on them for you, regards,

Le Bashir

My late father was one of the sappers attached to the Ox & Bucks who landed with John Howard etc at Pegasus Bridge and later became a Staff College Battlefield Tour guide. I still have his scripts for this particular location and hence if anyone wants a copy PM me.

Regards le Bashir.
Le Bashir, I would be most interested in a copy as I do tours of D-Day. Such first hand experience is invaluable. James

Latest Threads