Normandy '44

Normandy '44

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
old_fat_and_hairy submitted a new resource:

Normandy '44 - The invasion of France

I thought that I knew all about ‘D’Day. I’ve watched ‘Saving Private Ryan’ a couple of times, ‘The Longest Day’ several times and played ‘Call of Duty; WW2’. How much else do I need to know?
Well, James Holland’s latest book, ‘Normandy ’44 ‘ has shown me just how little I did know. I didn’t know that in 1939 the U.S. Air Corps only had 72 fighter planes or that only 18 ….yes! Eighteen tanks were made.
These are a smidgeon of facts available in this book, most of the others are quite...
Read more about this resource...

Given that this book hasn't actually been published yet I find it difficult to imagine that you've read it through enough to say that it is the definitive account of this Battle.

So far nothing has touched any of Robin Nielands books on the subject of WWII. Nielands is ex-job and more importantly he has actually gone back to the primary sources, far too many 'modern historians' base their books on the plethora of secondary sources, with only the merest nod at the primary sources (mostly accessed through other secondary sources and rarely directly) and then have the cheek to call themselves historians!

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Given that this book hasn't actually been published yet I find it difficult to imagine that you've read it through enough to say that it is the definitive account of this Battle.

So far nothing has touched any of Robin Nielands books on the subject of WWII. Nielands is ex-job and more importantly he has actually gone back to the primary sources, far too many 'modern historians' base their books on the plethora of secondary sources, with only the merest nod at the primary sources (mostly accessed through other secondary sources and rarely directly) and then have the cheek to call themselves historians!
Perhaps because it wasn't published, I imagined it all. Unless, of course, the publishers sent me the advance copy. Oh yes, that is what happened.
Nor did I say, anywhere, that is was the definitive account of the campaign. I did say " it is probably one of the most comprehensive accounts of ……...etc"
As for the author having the cheek to call himself a historian, you may be right, but may I suggest to put this to the Royal Historical Society, of which he is a Fellow and possibly to Dundee University, where he is a visiting lecturer in history.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
old_fat_and_hairy updated Normandy '44 with a new update entry:

Re Normandy '44

What I have neglected to mention is the attention to detail in the book. The armies of all involved are described in detail, with regiment names and numbers. The various navies and air forces involved receive a lot of attention and the individual accounts of pilots and crew feature in the book.

I reiterate, this is not just an endless churning out of official diaries; there are numerous passages of dialogue, which are taken from interviews with the belligerents of both sides. To write a...
Read the rest of this update entry...