• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Norman Wisdom Dead

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Another old trouper gone - I enjoyed his comedy. He must have taken a few knocks over the years with his brand of slapstick humour.

Sir Norman believed that the key to his success was a simple one.
"My comedy is for children from three to 93," he once explained. "You do need a slightly childish sense of humour and if you haven't got that, it's very sad."
Loved his films when I was younger. They had a naive charm about them. Norman's appeal was probably down to him playing the little man, downtrodden but full of spirit and unwilling to be pushed out of the way, he had a strong sense of morality and doing the right thing. We tend to support the underdog in this country with good reason, and I'm wondering if Norman may have had a hand in shaping our minds in that ethos.

Sad to hear about his death.

Shame, saw him on tv in an interview when he was about 85. Suffered a few strokes after that. At least we can look forward to some decent comedy on TV as there will no doubt be a Norman Wisdom season.

Helluva shame, good innings though, RIP chap.
Must`ve been a few years ago now when he got knighted, they showed it on TV and as he stood up and walked away from the Queen he did his signature comedy trip, made HM chuckle quite a bit.
Found a clip on youtube from one of his films....doing bayonet practice :)
YouTube - Norman Wisdom Bayonet Practice

Another star of British Comedy has gone, he leaves behind the legacy of his characters in his many films and programme appearances. Have laughed many times at his antics of slapstick comedy. A true expert at the art of bringing happiness and fun into our lives.

There's a tale that HM was visiting Isle of Man and Norman was in the line up of dignitaries to meet Her.
After she had spoken to him he just continued talking and tried to follow HM.
The Heavy gang moved in to cut off this 'Blathering Old Man.
HM reputedly put them in line with
"Sir Norman is an old Friend of ours."

john
made me laugh when I wuz a kid, The Shuttleworth Special !

Latest Threads