Nootropics, Worth trying?

Has anyone got any experience of Nootropics, Personal or professional?
One of my best mates, (clean living, healthy, successful guy) has been using Aniracetam for a few months and is says he feels it is doing 'what it says on the tin' and is recommending I try it. My mate is a bit faddy and I'm well aware of the potential placebo effect.
So I thought I'd put it out to the collective of Arrse. I intend to read up as much as I can, speak to my GP, speak to a mate who's stupidly qualified in chemistry and pharmacology (I think) before I'd consider taking it.
I know and I'm learning more of potential illegalities regarding certain nootropics (so no need to bang on about that too much)

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
One of my best mates, (clean living, healthy, successful guy) has been using Aniracetam for a few months and is says he feels it is doing 'what it says on the tin' and is recommending I try it. My mate is a bit faddy and I'm well aware of the potential placebo effect.
So I thought I'd put it out to the collective of Arrse. I intend to read up as much as I can, speak to my GP, speak to a mate who's stupidly qualified in chemistry and pharmacology (I think) before I'd consider taking it.
I know and I'm learning more of potential illegalities regarding certain nootropics (so no need to bang on about that too much)
Well a quick look seems to suggest it helps with anxiety.
Three rules I use to suggest something is addictive
1. It helps you sleep
2. It relieves pain
3. It makes you feel better.

It would fail on 3. Don't mess with drugs you don't know anything about and your GP is unlikely to know either.
No matter how clever or qualified people are stick to my simple 3 rules.

Well a quick look seems to suggest it helps with anxiety.
Three rules I use to suggest something is addictive
1. It helps you sleep
2. It relieves pain
3. It makes you feel better.

It would fail on 3. Don't mess with drugs you don't know anything about and your GP is unlikely to know either.
No matter how clever or qualified people are stick to my simple 3 rules.

Cheers for that, Very Good advice. (You've probably heard this before) but I'm confident of avoiding addiction. I've never shown any signs of susceptibility and have a more experience than I'd like in dealing with addiction/addicts But I do take on board what you are saying.
Same as anything else in life I'll do my research before doing anything.

I know it's fairly normal in some circles to use nootropics once a week, or once a fortnight, but I don't think its a good idea to take them everyday. At the very least, as Jarrod mentions - addiction, but also you'll be increasing the risk of burn-out. Especially if Aniracetam works like Modinofil where you can concentrate on work for a solid 12-14 hours, you'll be significantly increasing your risk of stress/burning out if you do that everyday of the week.

However, being devils advocate, the gist of an argument I heard put forward when I was sitting in a House of Lords Science and Technology meeting a few years ago, was that if cognitive enhancers are shown to be completely safe (which ones like methylphenidate (Ritalin) pretty much are deemed safe), there is no reason why we shouldn't take them to improve our productivity. Especially when much of our progress as a species is due to a cognitive enhancer we all take for granted: artificial light.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Cheers for that, Very Good advice. (You've probably heard this before) but I'm confident of avoiding addiction. I've never shown any signs of susceptibility and have a more experience than I'd like in dealing with addiction/addicts But I do take on board what you are saying.
Same as anything else in life I'll do my research before doing anything.
That MCAT was just plant food they said, harmless they said.
I smoke and drink but know the effects and wouldn't be in a problem with either if I stopped. Drugs that help anxiety I'd want to know where they're working. If they're working at GABA receptors like benzodiazepines don't touch. Look for randomised clinical trials, look how big the trials are, who did them, what qualifications they had and how independent they are.
Then maybe eat a healthy balanced diet, do some excercise, avoid too much stress, don't work too much and book a holiday.

I hear you Jarrod, I'll look into those points. I couldn't say I'm stressed :) but something that may give me some added focus for a few hours once or twice a month is worth me exploring I recon. No harm in reading up.
Cheers.
More good reading @amazing__lobster, thank you.

Edit typo

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I hear you Jarrod, I'll look into those points. I couldn't say I'm stressed :) but something that may give me same added focus for a few hours once or twice a month is worth me exploring I recon. No harm in reading up.
Cheers.
More good reading @amazing__lobster, thank you.
Well if you want added focus once or twice a month then look at what tasks you are doing. Look at how long you can concentrate and it's not long. Look at how blood sugar, going to work hungry makes a difference. A lot is generally sensible things we should all do. I'll still have two mugs of coffee and 5 cigs for breakfast. No idea why anyone would take notice of me.

I tried a couple of the racetams a while ago. They definitely have an effect, but not much that getting a bit more exercise and cleaning up my diet wouldn't have done - I got more of an improvement from weaning myself off sugar and caffeine. I've heard good things about Modafinil though.

Ritalin is very good too, especially if taken alongside caffein (just a cup of coffee) which increases it's effectiveness. Expensive to buy online though and has a much shorter half life than modinifal.

Last edited:
A lot is generally sensible things we should all do. I'll still have two mugs of coffee and 5 cigs for breakfast. No idea why anyone would take notice of me.

J, the OP wants to ride on the bus in the mornings, not race alongside it.:-D

I started taking these but then forgot why I taking them so I stopped

Archibald

Latest Threads