Nooo! My SMLE is a duff...

Unhappy Stoaty... So I took the M1917 and SMLE out to the 50m range, and the SMLE does this (several times):

1520704976392.png

Sights set to 400 yds, so the two up the top are where they should be. The bulk of the group is split off low and right, and is unimpressive. Presumably a stocking up issue.

However I'm nowhere near as conversant with the SMLE bedding compared to the No.4 bedding. HEEELLLLPPPPP!

The business end looks like this, if it helps any:

1520705139240.png

No sign of cord wear. Are the sights firm (ie: not loose)?

No sign of cord wear. Are the sights firm (ie: not loose)?
Yeah, that's the sort of thing you can check in the shop and would be grounds for immediate rejection.

Bore's in good nick too.

Further to last - the throat is visibly worn, so one possibility is that it's just the boat-tail-bullets-in-cordite-worn-barrels problem... Not sure why that would result in the bulk of the group being very low compared to where it should be going though.

Play in the butt?

Fnarr

Ammo is S&B, which shoots well in my No.4 and in a mate's 1915 SMLE

I'll have a delve in my armourers notes when I get home tomorrow!

Not bad you probably killed a water bottle or resi pouch.

it's ruined, I'll take it off your hands and I won't even charge you much

Try some flat based bullets?

I have an SMLE that won't shoot for shit with boat tails.
Was discussing with Rob of Britishmuzzleloaders fame and this is likely to be the next try. I've got some plated Frontier that set-up nicely, but once they're gone they're gone.

In any case, I need to slug it to see if it's a good candidate for cast.

The throat and bore has to be really worn in order to get a problem with boat-tails. I've usually only seen that problem with Long Lees that are nearly smoothbore. I don't think I've even had a No1 that didn't make some sort of group with boat-tails.

If it was a throat/boattail issue, then you'd get a single scattered group and quite possible some bullets going through the paper sideways. This will happen even over just 25yds range.

Here you have two reasonable groups, but a split. That suggests a bedding issue, particularly if the two rounds were the first ones. Something - barrel heating, a sticky bit in the forends, or a missing component - is changing the barrel vibration.

Make sure the front trigger guard screw is firm.

First thing to do with a No1 is make sure that all of the bedding components are present. Thats especially including the small spring on the barrel band, and the spring and stud up under the nosecap.

Tighten the barrel band screw, then back it off about half a turn. Shoot a group and see if this does anything. Tighten/loosen the screw by 1/4 turn and fire test groups. Some No1s are really sensitive to this screw/spring tension.

Take off nosecap, wipe inside, replace. Fire test group. Some No1s are sensitive to the nosecap fit (the barrel is pushed down by the top of the muzzle aperture).

I know the square root of bugger all about this stuff but with 10 holes in the target, did you not fire "warmers into the bank"?

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Take off nosecap, wipe inside, replace. Fire test group. Some No1s are sensitive to the nosecap fit (the barrel is pushed down by the top of the muzzle aperture).
Judging by the photos there does seem to be a definite connection between the top of the barrel and the inner edge of the nose cap cutout. Should there be a distinct gap all round?

The throat and bore has to be really worn in order to get a problem with boat-tails. I've usually only seen that problem with Long Lees that are nearly smoothbore. I don't think I've even had a No1 that didn't make some sort of group with boat-tails.

If it was a throat/boattail issue, then you'd get a single scattered group and quite possible some bullets going through the paper sideways. This will happen even over just 25yds range.

Here you have two reasonable groups, but a split. That suggests a bedding issue, particularly if the two rounds were the first ones. Something - barrel heating, a sticky bit in the forends, or a missing component - is changing the barrel vibration.

Make sure the front trigger guard screw is firm.

First thing to do with a No1 is make sure that all of the bedding components are present. Thats especially including the small spring on the barrel band, and the spring and stud up under the nosecap.

Tighten the barrel band screw, then back it off about half a turn. Shoot a group and see if this does anything. Tighten/loosen the screw by 1/4 turn and fire test groups. Some No1s are really sensitive to this screw/spring tension.

Thanks. I'll take the forend off and check all the bits are there, and do as you say. It's also possible that the barrel band screw is too tight.

The main screw and the band screw could probably do with being replaced, they're kinda ratty. Got a source for them?

I know the square root of bugger all about this stuff but with 10 holes in the target, did you not fire "warmers into the bank"?
No warmers - the two up where they should be for that sight setting were from the cold barrel. I fired 25 rounds in total and it did this each time, which implies a stocking-up issue.

The bulk of the group is nowhere near where it should be in respect of the sights - far too low for sights set at 400 yds when shooting at 50m (400 yds should be putting them in the middle, plus or minus, for a 6 o'clock hold on that target).