Non UK Paras Doing P Coy

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by foxs_marine, Dec 12, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was recently given a book about the Paras (apparently by a 10 Para officer). It carries a 1/2 page B&W photo purporting to be a Canadian para having a crack at Test Week. He was wrapped in a blanket with a brew & a sad look on his face.
    This set me thinking; a) Which nations' airborne might be allowed to have a crack at P Coy, b) what's the take up rate & c) what's the pass rate?

2. I know some yanks from the 3rd Rangers had a crack but only got to the log race, all came off. That was the first day of P Coy after the steeple chase. The milling would have been after the log

3. When I done my P Company test week with 4 Para, we had an Australian officer from an armoured regiment on our course. He done the whole 4 Para recruit cadre, P Company and then Brize before he went home to his own Regiment. He now gets to wear the British Para wings with his uniform.

It looked rather strange actually as he done the whole course in Aussie cammo and desert boots!!!

4. Know a Swedish Ranger officer who has Brit wings, but I suspect he has only done the Brize course,as opposed to P-Company.

5. We had some froggies and rangers on my all-arms; they all crashed and burned during the beat-up.

6. At one time you had to be a trained soldier before you could apply to join the Para's and do just the P-Course. The Para's did not start training their own recruits until the mid 50's

7. Yes, and back then (1950s) it was called "A Company".

8. Don't recall any overseas students in the Depot while I was there (83-84) taking part in P-Coy........mind I had other things to focus on at the time :lol: Staff on exchange from the 82nd / 3 RAR tended to do a couple of weeks down there to get a 'feel' for the type of training the lads went through and I know they were encouraged to take part in some events but not to actually complete the course as such. One of my Plt Sgt's in Battalion was on exchange from the 82nd........good bloke but had to be dragged round by his straps when we were tabbing. Whenever we had exchanges with the Spams or Krauts we would let them have a go on the trinasium, it was funny as feck watching the spams crawl most of ther way round (those that would even have a go that is). The jerries always wanted to go a for a tab to see if they could hack the pace.

9. Wessex Man.....It was still called P Company when I did it and the course was ten working days or two weeks which ever you prefer

10. Also when i was with my old Battalion last year there were quite a number of people from overseas serving in the Regiment

11. Obviously,don't doubt that you're right - only reporting what my Old Man told me (he did it some time in early 1950s). Maybe a range of titles were used at various times? It was all a lot less formalised in those days, I suspect, and the WW2 Airborne types I know say that it was never called anything other than "hard training" in their day!

12. Yes I remember a Canadian Officer Maj I** H***, he was attached to 5 AB Bde in the early 90's, think he worked in Bde HQ.

He was also Company Commander of PPCLI at Titov Dravar in late 90's, He was top bloke and did P Coy although he didnt wear any wings although this may have been non PC due to the Airborne Regiment thing.