Non Scottish Whiskies

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Fang_Farrier, Jan 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Taken from the way a different thread was heading, recommendations on non -Scottish Whiskies.

Basically we all know that Scotland is the land of the finest single Malts but what other whiskies are enjoyed by those on Arrse.

Currently have a bottle of Gentle Jack in the cupboard which is rather pleasant for something American.

And have had several Irish bottle over the years.
  2. i tried a japanese malt round at a mates after a pretty heavy session and it was just about undrinkable, god knows what it would've been like sober
  3. Jamesons

Edited to add- although I think talisker tastes like a tramps sock so I'm not exactly a connoisseur
  4. Bushmills single malt is lovely. I'd also rate it over the majority of "Scotch" whiskies out there.

Gentleman Jack, or Single Barrel is often found in my hip flask also. Nom nom nom nom nom nom
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Penderyn is made 13 miles away from my house. It's a perfectly pleasant whiskey, but I do prefer Irish.

Of the Irish whiskeys that I've tried (apart from poitin), I prefer Powers.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Most people cant tell one whisky from another, especially if they have had a couple. In fact if you want a wee bit of fun tell your drinking mates that you bet they cant tell a lager from a stout or a pint of heavy. Get half a pint of each poured tell your guy to shut his eyes and give him the stout first, he might get the first two swigs right but give him a taste of stout again and usually they wont have a clue what they are swallowing after that.

JDs a nice dram
  7. I've got a couple of bottles of the early English Whiskey company output, both still at 3yrs. Best described as alright at the moment but the peated one already shows a lot of promise for when it's properly aged.
  8. I always thought whiskey doesn't change very much once bottled?
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Did you know that all rums start out white/clear. The darkness is achieved by the length of time it spends in the barrell. I only found that out a couple of weeks ago.
  10. I'm exceptionally biased of course, but there can be nothing better than Bushmills :) Jamesons is still a decent option and the same parent company owns both brands.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Sun-Tory Yamazaki is an excellent drop, first introduced to me Mrs H_M 1st's brother-in-law who went to Japan regularly on business with Rolls Royce. The Japanese drinl it almost like a cocktail in a highball glass with crushed ice and spring water. It is also drunk with food. of course, this increases the velocity of intoxication ;-)
  12. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm quite keen on Jack Daniels - Silver Select -Single Barrel. Mind you I'm also partial to Feckin Irish Whiskey too.

I haven't tried Gentleman Jack. Should I?

BTB I've done a distillery tour of JD's in Lynchburg, Tennessee. Lynchburg is a dry county - go figure?

O the way to the distillery we got stuck behind a real old jalopy. Proper Waltons banger being driven by an old boy in vest, dungarees and a yellow baseball cap. Loaded gun rack on the back window.

I was going to overtake him when I noticed his bumper sticker:

In my head I heard the banjos twanging and decided to hang back, well back...
    • Like Like x 1

13. Have you tried Mount Gay rum.... my personal favourite, available in Tesco.

Never seen it outside of Barbados but they do an Extra Old version as well.
  14. After Old Poulteney and Oban, I like a Bushmills. Never been keen on Jack Daniels and no one I know has a Japanese Whisky in the house.