Non Native species

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by happybonzo, Dec 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If any of you are involved with running a Shoot or are trying to restore land to sporting use then you may find this list from DEFRA of use

https://secure.fera.defra.gov.uk/nonnativespecies/index.cfm?sectionid=47

My main problem is Rhododendron. The cost of removal and future control is going to be frightful. It seems that one has to not only remove the plant but also the top layer of humus contains millions of seeds and is highly toxic.
    Now to add to my problems I find that I have Muntjac. Deer fencing for these B*****ds is more expensive than for Roe and Reds, both of which are present.

2. Rhododendron are a pain in the arse, but wait until you get Japanese knotweed, it's almost impossible to root out.

The giant hogweed is also a pain, quite literally if you stumble through it in daylight.

Muntjac aren't here yet but they are present in Holland, I'm told.

Our main invasive species are Enok (Racoon dogs), Racoon, American mink, Muskrat and Coypu.

On the other hand there are some sucess stories with older species returning, wisent (bison), wolf, lynx, brown bear and elch are all appearing on the radar.

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

even in central Cardiff we have a major problem with mink and Terrapins, only the other night there was a very funny TV program of the wildlife experts and police trying to catch terrapins in a local lake,

4. I heard a story here about an animal rights activist who tried to report a hunter for potting terrapins released into a pond on his shoot. A fisherman had tipped him off. He bagged all four with a .22 as they basked in early morning sun, it took him four months. It then turned out that our erstwhile terrapin expert and guardian of animal rights had released them himself.

He was daft enough to admit it: 15000 euro fine plus pay the hunters costs.

5. So called 'non native species' are a rather emotive subject, not least because of the fact that 'ALL' species in Scotland and probably the UK also are re-introductions of some sort after the last Ice age. Does it matter if these introductions are natural, i.e. seeds blown over oceans, on birds feathers or mammals swimming across water OR introduced by man for various reasons?

My personal belief is that no matter what is introduced the system will balance eventually, although some species will always suffer and some will of course benefit. I do not think this subject will be sorted anytime in the next millennium.

6. Does that mean you can shoot the non native animals mink etc with no problem at any time of the year?

7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

If you fish the sea wall in the Cardiff, Newport area of the Bristol channel the mink are a pain in the arse. the f@cking things are almost tame and will happily come right up and steal your bait, some stupid f@cker must must be feeding them

8. Does anyone on here know anything about catching/trapping the American Signal Crayfish? I'd really like to try getting some to eat, but not sure how to go about it or where to even start looking for them!
    I'm in the North west of England! :)

9. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I think most non-native species are classed as vermin and therefore can be shot whenever.

An interesting quirk of the law means that if you trap one you can't then release it as it would be a introduction of a non-native species...so you have to kill it...this includes grey squirrel.

S_R

10. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

I can tell you how to make a trap, get a 1 gallon square springwater bottle from a supermarket, cut the top off at about 1 inch bellow where it starts to go square, drill a couple of hundred small diameter holes in the main part of the bottle so it sinks,
    then reverse the top part so it is a funnel going into the bottle and secure it in place, put a brick in it and some fish as bait, oily types are the best and drop it in the stream, you 'll catch crayfish and eels this way

11. How long is eventually and does the possible complete extinction of a competing native species count as balanced?

12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Before you do the check with your local EPA agent.

Some areas no longer require a licence to trap Signals, but others most certainly do; this is particularly relevant where native crays are still breeding viably.

The other thing that the EPA may require you to show is that your traps are otter friendly.

13. @ Jim 24 & Gremlin - Thanks for that information I shall certainly try out making the traps and check with the EPA before attempting to catch anything!
    Thanks again chaps :)

14. Two species that don't seem to follow that: Rabbits (the Normans) Stinging Nettles (the Romans). Without enormous effort on the part of us humans the whole island would be run alive with both.

15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I was out collecting logs today and had to cut through an awful lot of rhodies to get in. We have a splurge on them every year. They are easy to spot as they are green all year till you cut them down then the buggers grow back within weeks.