Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-lethal/ Direct Energy Weapons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been a number of non-lethal, or direct energy systems, developed. In most cases their use has been limited due perhaps to a large extent, uncertainty about possible long term damage it might cause to the recipients. ‘Cooked’ rioters is hardly good press.

There has been suspicion that some states who have less compunction about this, have been using them for a while. US diplomats posted to China and Cuba reported experiencing severe headaches, vertigo, memory loss, dizziness and other problems, since the beginning of 2016 and it is strongly suspected that they had been subject to laser weapons attack.

Reports have intimated that Russian agents were using a top-secret laser weapon to try and inflict brain damage on American spies and diplomats across the globe. In the 70s, Soviets had directed microwaves at the US Embassy in Moscow. Various studies were made.

China has been developing these and apparently China’s Type 055’s are equipped with a ship-borne high-power microwave (HPM) anti-missile system, which combines microwave weapons with close-in guns and air defence missiles forming an integrated anti-missile system. 

It is now being reported that Chinese troops have been using these types of weapons against Indian troops along the borders that recently saw violent clashes and troops on both sides killed in hand to hand combat without the use of guns.

Chinese media outlets reported the PLA’s “innovative use of microwave weapons” to force the Indian army to retreat, saying it could have been for the first time such weapons were used in open conflict.

To the Chinese, cooked Indian soldiers, after the last debacle, might be welcome news.

I think most heat-sources cook things better than a hexi stove...

Yeah, but hexi-telly gets more viewers.

There have been a number of non-lethal, or direct energy systems, developed. In most cases their use has been limited due perhaps to a large extent, uncertainty about possible long term damage it might cause to the recipients. ‘Cooked’ rioters is hardly good press.

There has been suspicion that some states who have less compunction about this, have been using them for a while. US diplomats posted to China and Cuba reported experiencing severe headaches, vertigo, memory loss, dizziness and other problems, since the beginning of 2016 and it is strongly suspected that they had been subject to laser weapons attack.

Reports have intimated that Russian agents were using a top-secret laser weapon to try and inflict brain damage on American spies and diplomats across the globe. In the 70s, Soviets had directed microwaves at the US Embassy in Moscow. Various studies were made.

China has been developing these and apparently China’s Type 055’s are equipped with a ship-borne high-power microwave (HPM) anti-missile system, which combines microwave weapons with close-in guns and air defence missiles forming an integrated anti-missile system. 

It is now being reported that Chinese troops have been using these types of weapons against Indian troops along the borders that recently saw violent clashes and troops on both sides killed in hand to hand combat without the use of guns.

Chinese media outlets reported the PLA’s “innovative use of microwave weapons” to force the Indian army to retreat, saying it could have been for the first time such weapons were used in open conflict.

To the Chinese, cooked Indian soldiers, after the last debacle, might be welcome news.

There was a problem with similar brain cooking type death rays in Cuba a while back. "Diplomats" at the American embassy were complaining of headaches and nausea.

================================================

In the UK back in the 80's someone was trying to sell lightpulse "weapons" to the police and military for crowd control. A bit like the disclaimer "there is flash photography in this report", the thing looked like one of those large torches people stick in the boot of their car, one with the pistol type handle except the torch/light part was bigger. Apparently the strobe unit had been tuned to deliver the range and speed of flashes to make people feel sick. I never saw one in service.

There was also test of some widget that emitted a certain frequency/pitch which is only heard by yoof's. As we age we start to loose our range of hearing so the particular frequency was out of the range of people around about their mid-20's and older. To a yoof though the dog whistle like frequency/pitch was particularly annoying so they move away from it. I know they were testing it in areas around shops prone to gathering yoofs and vandalism in my police force area when I left. By all accounts it worked a treat, but I don't know if it was picked up and implemented.

Last edited:

There was a problem with similar brain cooking type death rays in Cuba a while back. "Diplomats" at the American embassy were complaining of headaches and nausea.

In the UK back in the 80's someone was trying to sell lightpulse "weapons" to the police and military for crowd control. A bit like the disclaimer "there is flash photography in this report", the thing looked like one of those large torches people stick in the boot of their car, one with the pistol type handle except the torch/light part was bigger. Apparently the strobe unit had been tuned to deliver the range and speed of flashes to make people feel sick. I never saw one in service.

There was also test of some widget that emitted a certain frequency/pitch which is only heard by yoof's. As we age we start to loose our range of hearing so the particular frequency was out of the range of people around about their mid-20's and older. To a yoof though the dog whistle like frequency/pitch was particularly annoying so they move away from it. I know they were testing it in areas around shops prone to gathering yoofs and vandalism in my police force area when I left. By all accounts it worked a treat, but I don't know if it was picked up and implemented.

One non-lethal sound that was successfully used to disperse anti-social problem ‘yufs’ in shopping centres, was the use of classical music.

In the BLM riots in London this might have been effective.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

There's lots of various ultra sound dispersal systems currently available

You mean like the device that was claimed to have been used to disorientate Diana's driver?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

War Hero
Instead of the "mosquito" whine some places played Mantovani music - as it drives away the youths and attracts the pensioners :)

QRK2

LE
One non-lethal sound that was successfully used to disperse anti-social problem ‘yufs’ in shopping centres, was the use of classical music.

In the BLM riots in London this might have been effective.

Yes, a nice bit of opera would work:

Zhopa

War Hero
This update on the Russia angle may be pertinent.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The Russkis have had a head start on these sort of systems
any one remember the case of the THING ?
a gift to the US Ambassador W Averell Harriman
the buggers bounced a radio off the thing, and could listen to every conversation
only found out due to a British radio operator listening in and finding it by accident

Slime

LE

Many kids love those sonic devices.

They record the emitted sound, then use that recording as a text or ring tone for a mobile phone. This allows them to have an audible tone for use in school, but one which teaching staff are unable to hear.
Far better than using the vibrate function as that is very easy to hear.

While the mosquito type devices have been used for some years now there are plenty of shops that have found playing music that teenagers don’t like to be more effective.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A couple of these trained units can disperse the crowd

1605639633751.png

You mean like the device that was claimed to have been used to disorientate Diana's driver?

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I don't know what was allegedly used there, the thing I saw looked like a bit like this thing only somewhat larger and the light that was zapped at people was like a strobe. The bloke doing the sales pitch was a former Cpl. last job in Warminster.

iu

The use of tactical flashlight strobes has been around for a long time. My son was a law enforcement officer in the US and had one.

High intensity light strobing in the dark can be used to disorientate and to destroy night vision. The rapid on and off of the light causes a person or object on the move to appear in and out of sync and it can then take the brain a while to adjust, also known as the Bucha effect or flicker vertigo. Its also hard to aim a weapon at a bright pulsing light while non strobing bright lights can be a bullet beacon.

‘Tactical’ strobes flash in a frequency range most effective for disorienting people. Better is one with randomly changing frequency within the disorienting range of frequencies. Better a light with randomly changing colors at the right frequency. When perfectly calibrated a person can be momentarily disabled.

There are small tactical flashlights are specifically designed to be everyday carry protection devices for use at night.

Last edited:
Which turned out to be overenthusiastic use of organophosphates during the Zika scare by the US contractors responsible for upkeep in the embassy grounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.