Non-Issue equipment banned for Afghan

cdn_spr

War Hero
Gotta be honest. The gear is slowly getting there. I'm still happy because I know they'll never produce stuff like I do. Mind you, I'll never produce in their numbers.
Edit: re below the waist
But what about belted equipment?
A lot of people are still using PLCE style.
Below the waist as in stuff strapped to your upper thighs where it would potentially interfere with the placement of a CAT. Drop leg holsters, dump pouches etc. The lads in my section carried their TCCC (canuckese for team medic) bags, which were designed as drop leg bags, on their day sacks for precisely this reason.

PLCE stuff would be fine I think, as although it sits low on the waist, you won't be wearing it around your thighs.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
couldn't find a suitable thread but thought this was the right place for this important advisory from DCTA I recvd at work recently:

Subject: release-authorised: Egyptian Battle Kit - R-292359z Feb 11 Z… covering AUSCANUKUS - Eyes Only.......[TRADOC initial assessment - some of this product has already surfaced on the Web...we need to grip this people...]

----begins---------

So just to outline here – these are makeshift helmets made by the Egyptians whilst scrapping in their current predicament. I shall guide you through these pieces of registered non standard army kit:

Your classic 1979 ‘Tribottle rag’ helmet – a must in any type of combat

A late 80’s ‘boxhat’. The bloke next to him doesn’t appear too sure of its effectiveness

A renaissance period piece of brickwear teamed with a black and cream scarf. Textbook

Im not sure that tuna sarnie he is about to lob is gonna cause to much destruction.
Old skool 80’s broken bin helmet. I personally love the fact he needs to lift it up to see – does he spend the rest of the time walking in to things??

Textbook saucepaning with lifejacket combo. He does not take, ANY!!

I literally have no idea what this is.

And the winner by 100 miles.
This bloke is going to war with 2 baguettes strapped to his ears and a ham salad roll
sellotaped to his forehead. I’d def wanna be behind him if someone lobs a load of bricks at me.

-----------endit--------------

Scchhh....you know who....

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A bit off topic this, but these pictures remind me of another series of pictures from an African state somewhere. Same script, people running around with weapons wearing improvised body armour such as soup pots for helmets, life jackets, capes, gardening gloves, etc.

Anyone have it? I think it came in a PowerPoint slide.

M

Mark The Convict

Mr B, are you thinking of the Liberian thread? Sub-teenage thugs with lifejackets and AK's/DJ's and AK's/wedding dresses and AK's? There's a quite long thread about it, but I can't think of the name.

Edit; it's something like 'African soldier of the month'.

Diggers have been banned from using non-issue mag and grenade pouches for some time (in Aus. at least). It's apparently an arse-covering exercise imposed by Comcare after some cretin (who was using privately-purchased mag pouches) managed to load a ball round into a mag of blank and fire it with the BFA still fitted.

Strangely, the digs in Afg. seem to be using whatever they like...
The cretin was an officer cadet. Apparently he unloaded in the field, picked up the discarded round and put it back in the mag. He had accidentally picked up a live round instead of his discarded blank. I have no idea why a live round would be lying around Majura.

Diggers have been banned from using non-issue mag and grenade pouches for some time (in Aus. at least). It's apparently an arse-covering exercise imposed by Comcare after some cretin (who was using privately-purchased mag pouches) managed to load a ball round into a mag of blank and fire it with the BFA still fitted.

Strangely, the digs in Afg. seem to be using whatever they like...
The SF types perhaps - because it's issued through the system. The rest of the diggers should still be using issued pouches, even if they are cutting about with them attached to a SORD plate carrier...

The cretin was an officer cadet. Apparently he unloaded in the field, picked up the discarded round and put it back in the mag. He had accidentally picked up a live round instead of his discarded blank. I have no idea why a live round would be lying around Majura.
Nope. That wasn't it.
He had a live round discarded in the bottom of a mag pouch designed for one mag.
He carried his mags inverted.
Loads mag with less than 30 blanks on exercise.
Puts mag in pouch (inverted)
Round gets forced into mag.
During convoy exercise convoy gets bumped, firefight ensues.
I think you can see where this is going! So because of one eejits poor admin everyone takes a hit.
I have a copy of the report somewhere; I'll dig em out later.

shimna01

Old-Salt
Just to add to the thread about 'front loading' body armour thing.

I was out on H8 and ended up in a couple of places -

Lots of driving about= guys put kit on the front of the body armour.
Lots of foot work= guys cleared the front of the armour, more time in prone i guess.

I however, recommended to the GPMG gunners that they kept their fronts clear from the start and most seemed happy with that and stuck to it.

Great thing about the new kit is its inherent flexibility.

Side note - I know of one guy blown clear of a WMIK over a compound wall. Only injury sustained in 'flight' was broken ankle and badly twisted knee and back. His grid however was smashed - 1 x Bayonet smashed lower jaw and removed many teeth. PRR mangled his ear badly. Lumicolour had to be removed from his palete. Not nice - he is fine now and has awesome scars and they replaced his sticking foul gnashers with lovely holywood whitey's.

In saying that i probably would still end up using the front of the body armour for something - it is very convient to keep stuff there (maybe not a bayonet or miniflare though!). I always use belt kit, in my opinion you can't beat it - lower centre of gravity meant jumping ditches/fliping over compound walls/crawling about was a lot easier and i was less like to hurt myself in the process.

Nope. That wasn't it.
He had a live round discarded in the bottom of a mag pouch designed for one mag.
He carried his mags inverted.
Loads mag with less than 30 blanks on exercise.
Puts mag in pouch (inverted)
Round gets forced into mag.
Surely that's just as likely with an issued pouch? I don't really understand how it was decided that the choice of pouch was in anyway involved in what happened?

Surely that's just as likely with an issued pouch? I don't really understand how it was decided that the choice of pouch was in anyway involved in what happened?
Most issue pouches are designed for two or three magazines. This was a pouch for one magazine. The loose round was therefore in the right position to get "loaded"

Most issue pouches are designed for two or three magazines. This was a pouch for one magazine. The loose round was therefore in the right position to get "loaded"
Ah right, I see now. Although I still think not properly clearing off ranges and poor personal drills (what happened to checking the top round in a mag before you load it?) were more responsible.

Ah right, I see now. Although I still think not properly clearing off ranges and poor personal drills (what happened to checking the top round in a mag before you load it?) were more responsible.
Absolutely right. The individual was liable.
Their AUGs don't have the same system as us in any case.

Edit. Soz I mean Blank firing system.

On H11 in kabul, quite a few guys from the Force protection company (camp souter) wore their own plate carriers, i cant see the problem as long as you are using issue plates and soft armour and helmet for obvious insurance reasons.

Plus the RMP cp guys who were kicking about had all their own kit, strutting round like SF. Used to annoy the TF36 guys big time.

Each to their own

On H11 in kabul, quite a few guys from the Force protection company (camp souter) wore their own plate carriers, i cant see the problem as long as you are using issue plates and soft armour and helmet for obvious insurance reasons.

Plus the RMP cp guys who were kicking about had all their own kit, strutting round like SF. Used to annoy the TF36 guys big time.

Each to their own
RMP CP were issued with RAV Paraclete...notice, were!
They are going back to Osprey due to the land clearance of Paraclete in Afghanistan.

RMP CP were issued with RAV Paraclete...notice, were!
They are going back to Osprey due to the land clearance of Paraclete in Afghanistan.
Hm. Better tell "Them" and SFSG then.

Err. And what does "Land clearance" mean?

Anyone whose job description includes, "Must without question jump in front of bullet meant for VIP" can be allowed a tad of poseur factor. I worked with them for 2 years, they used to get called "plastic SAS" and accepted it, workwise they had great respect for THEM as we regularly used to bump into them. RMP CP are among the best CP in the world, that tells by who goes to them for training.

Im just new on this site and found this topic pretty interesting, however, you are given (im not in the army so just guessing) 6 SA80 Mags? If you arent able to strap them to your front or legs, where would you put them? do you have to strap them to your back and become some sort of contortionist so that you can reload? Im hoping to join the infantry soon and I'd also probably carry my pistol in a drop leg holster. If you cant use these then where are you supposed to put them? It all seems pretty messed up to be perfectly honest.

Seriously though, where do you put any grenades, extra mags, your pistol, and any other extra bits of kit you might need to get access to quickly?

Latest Threads