Non-Issue equipment banned for Afghan

Your 'Black Bag' issue is provided by the Defence Cothing Team. They visit Theatre during every tour and speak widely to soldiers and medics. What you are issued with is the result of many other soldiers experiences and the observations of the medical professionals who treat casualties. The clothing and body armour are meant to be an integrated system that minimise load carriage and potential for injury. Compared to previous generations of soldiers, a lot of thought and care has gone into what you are issued. Hence the MTP, Osprey, torch, Leatherman, Camelbak, anti-bacterialogical, underwear, Lowa or Meindl boots, ballistic eye-protection, etc.

In regard of the not wearing stuff attached to the front of your Osprey, it is for your own good and to keep you effect as a member of your fire team. The fact there are straps there does mean that it is a good idea to use them. Next you'll be asking why the DFT button is called the DFT button?

Finally, I am sure that any rules may actually be put in place for good reason. If you do not comply, and are unfortunately injured, you are fully covered. Good luck with the tour.
But it only works if it is:
Designed properly; and
Assembled properly.
Here's some very recent pix from our own "Ally" thread:

Looking good!
Let's just zoom in shall we?

WTF?
looks like it's either a shite design or someone doesn't understand how MOLLE works.

Travelgall

LE
Kit Reviewer

And over on Search for an Ally star. Looks like a load of pouches attached to his Osprey.

Timpatient

Old-Salt
And over on Search for an Ally star. Looks like a load of pouches attached to his Osprey.
Yeah this kind of thing is pretty much par for the course out here at the moment - only things you absolutely must have as issue are glasses / goggles, helmet, osprey, bomb pants. Gloves are personal choice, though my expensive Blackhawk gloves (x2 pairs) disintegrated pretty much immediately so I'm on to the gay looking but much more hardwearing issue ones.

Fair amount of multicam rather than MTP clothing worn out and about on patrol, probably can't really get away with it in bastion or in a FOB but I can't see anyone caring when you're out at a CP. Having said that almost everyone wears the free stuff because it's every bit as good as whatever you'll buy.

Med pack is supposed to be molle'd to your Osprey and in addition to that whatever else you want as long as it's attached with molle. I use a warrior belt with harness under my osprey, works for me but again personal choice. You see people with shiteloads of pouches on them, but no-one's going to carry anything they don't need as it's unnecessary work. Leg pouches for UGL ammo are popular, almost never see drop leg pistol holsters.

Reaistically I can't see anyone actually noticing what you have in your kit when you fly out, and so long as you play the game and look smart in the main bases you should have a fair amount of leeway when you're out being shot at.

Ditto Boris's comments...

We have belt kits worn by guys out there now with no issues and when I was out there last year you could use what you liked within reason.

No gucci plate carriers for example but I used a non-issue moll-e vest platform over Osprey and that was OG over Desert

Delta-Dog

Old-Salt
Your 'Black Bag' issue is provided by the Defence Cothing Team. They visit Theatre during every tour and speak widely to soldiers and medics. What you are issued with is the result of many other soldiers experiences and the observations of the medical professionals who treat casualties. The clothing and body armour are meant to be an integrated system that minimise load carriage and potential for injury. Compared to previous generations of soldiers, a lot of thought and care has gone into what you are issued. Hence the MTP, Osprey, torch, Leatherman, Camelbak, anti-bacterialogical, underwear, Lowa or Meindl boots, ballistic eye-protection, etc.

In regard of the not wearing stuff attached to the front of your Osprey, it is for your own good and to keep you effect as a member of your fire team. The fact there are straps there does mean that it is a good idea to use them. Next you'll be asking why the DFT button is called the DFT button? Finally, I am sure that any rules may actually be put in place for good reason. If you do not comply, and are unfortunately injured, you are fully covered. Good luck with the tour.
I haven't questioned the OC's decision, I am just merely asking if other blokes have had this told to them aswel.

So what do you make of these issued man bags. We have just been given our black bags. Some great kit in them especially the water bottle filter jobby. Just cant see me using the old man bag though.

Delta-Dog

Old-Salt
So what do you make of these issued man bags. We have just been given our black bags. Some great kit in them especially the water bottle filter jobby. Just cant see me using the old man bag though.
Haven't had ous yet, just seen pics of them up in the block.

if standing on a mine, or triping an ied, the blast wave will rip the pouches from ypur osprey, and re, attach them to your face and body in a matter you wouldnt enjoy..................

Roger. We have not been told anything on the "only used issue kit" thing. Alot of the guys have spent mega bucks on new kit. There will be alot of pissed off campers if they get to Bastion just to be told to put it all in a MFO box.

Delta-Dog

Old-Salt
A few blokes in my coy have already bought daysacks for about £120 each, been told they're not allowed to use them, Woops! I've got no problem with using issue only kit to be honest. Just wondered if it was a widespread thing or just our lot.

refer to my last post............

daywalker

LE
Kit Reviewer
A few blokes in my coy have already bought daysacks for about £120 each, been told they're not allowed to use them, Woops! I've got no problem with using issue only kit to be honest. Just wondered if it was a widespread thing or just our lot.
Why the **** wouldn't you be allowed to wear a private purchase daysack?

R an R

Old-Salt
Is it just my unit... or is every single black bag issue random as ****?????? wrong size uniforms... some things included.. most of it not... is there any kind of directive on the diffy kit out there??

It sounds as if your CoC has gone a bit over the top dude, I know 16x haven't stuck that rule in and they are out there now with plenty if blokes using there own kit.

Yup!

X59

LE

fatmini

War Hero
Always like to see a weapon propped up like that.

Good skills.
No no you have it wrong the rifle is propping up the jackal :)

Latest Threads