Non-issue boots dilemma

Marshall28

Swinger
Used the search function but found no similar threads: Apologies if in wrong place.

I did PRAC back in April and noticed that the boots we were issued on the course varied from brand new ones or totally bollocksed ones that looked like they saw action at Trafalgar, I lost the game of boot roulette and was given a totally Jack pair to try and polish, we were told at the end that those of us that passed would be issued a pair so we would have a chance to break them in before starting phase 1, for whatever reason we weren't issued any boots and left there empty handed.

I managed to get a pair of Alt-bergs (the shiny new ones at PRAC), and was wondering whether I would be able to take these up to phase 1, they are the same boots as they are planning to issue us, and seeing as we were apparently meant to be issued them before anyway, atleast this way I can guarantee I'll get a decent pair that are broken in nicely before I start.

Any advice appreciated.

Momba Womba

On ROPS
On ROPs
Used the search function but found no similar threads: Apologies if in wrong place.

I did PRAC back in April and noticed that the boots we were issued on the course varied from brand new ones or totally bollocksed ones that looked like they saw action at Trafalgar, I lost the game of boot roulette and was given a totally Jack pair to try and polish, we were told at the end that those of us that passed would be issued a pair so we would have a chance to break them in before starting phase 1, for whatever reason we weren't issued any boots and left there empty handed.

I managed to get a pair of Alt-bergs (the shiny new ones at PRAC), and was wondering whether I would be able to take these up to phase 1, they are the same boots as they are planning to issue us, and seeing as we were apparently meant to be issued them before anyway, atleast this way I can guarantee I'll get a decent pair that are broken in nicely before I start.

Any advice appreciated.
If they are issue boots, then they are issue boots. Very unlikely that anyone is going to check your 1157 to see if they were issued to you.

And even if they did, they'll only tell you to take them off.

Similar dilemma- the issue boots rip my feet on ex. I am in the AR and done all training, want to get a pair of nicer boots. Just don't want to look like an SF ally wannabe TA man, think that a pair of brown salomons are Ok for the field? Or does anyone have any reccomendations that look like issue but are comfy and good for feet?

Issue Alt Bergs are very good.
It could be something as simple as you not getting the correct size boots; not using the insole or lacing them up incorrectly / too tightly.

Issue Alt Bergs are very good.
It could be something as simple as you not getting the correct size boots; not using the insole or lacing them up incorrectly / too tightly.
They are good but really rip my feet on ex. Right size and I do them up properly. Also wear good socks.

I get sweaty feet w blisters that then rip cos of sweaty feet even with talc. However in my normal Mammut and Salomons no blisters at any distance and weight. Would a pair of brown salomons or similar be non suspect in the field? Just don't want to look like a wannabe. Or the leather Karrimors? Just would like direction on whether it is noncy or not or am I stuck with taping my feet?

If you're getting sweaty feet with blisters, I suspect your boots don't actually fit you as well as you think. Socks can play a part, too - I was Infantry and its well worth spending £ on decent socks - the issue ones are actually OK but if you van get merino wool ones, fab.

Are you using insoles? If so - issue ones or private purchase?

Buying non issue boots will get noticed; when I instructed at an RTC I wouldn't allow them ( and took pains to wear issue boots when attending the RTC. )

Latest Threads