Non-Irish Royal Irish officer?

I'm starting Sandhurst in 4 weeks and still thinking about possible regiments. I'm almost sure infantry is for me as long as I don't hate being on exercise.
Like the title says I'm interested in the R Irish however aside from a small Irish connection, I don't really have many Irish connections, is it common for English officers to join them?

very-old-git

Old-Salt
I have a small Irish connection - a wife 5ft 1 inch (tall ?) - Eire USB

llech

LE
You'll be in charge of the Fijian's in that case.

Serious reply, don't worry about it, I worked with a chap who joined the Inniskillen Fusiliers, despite never having set foot in Ireland and grew up in North Wales.
As an aside he was Iceland Frozen foods first ever employee!

Last edited:

very-old-git

Old-Salt
VOGs son joined the Highland Fusiliers with no connection to Scotland other than a desire to wear skirts and drink

VOGs son joined the Highland Fusiliers with no connection to Scotland other than a desire to wear skirts and drink
As did many before him, certainly back in the 70s there was a strong 'Surrey' Highlander element. Some had never been to Scotland their first being their trip to the Regimental tailor in Edinburgh and then RHQ in Glasgow.

I'm starting Sandhurst in 4 weeks and still thinking about possible regiments. I'm almost sure infantry is for me as long as I don't hate being on exercise.
Like the title says I'm interested in the R Irish however aside from a small Irish connection, I don't really have many Irish connections, is it common for English officers to join them?
Genuine question why the RIR?

Very interested in light infantry, and as far as history and tradition goes the R Irish stood out for me amongst the other infantry regiments
Thats it? I have worked with them and they are good, full of Scousers and Brummies, but.....

I did an Op with the Royal Irish on my last tour. Pretty sure the OC of the Coy I was attached to was a Kiwi or an Ozzy.

I remember him, as he ripped me for being a Geordie. Complained he was fed up with all the random accents he had to endure. Decent bloke though, he gave me a lift in his Jackal one day.

His CSM was a Manc bloke that looked a bit like Russ Abbott.

Decent set of lads, really good craic. Allthough they draw from far and wide I got the feeling they were a very close knit Bn. This was immediately apparent when we moved into their AO and linked up with them. They extended a really warm welcome, allthough we all got gripped for being scruffy twats (we were mainly attached to 3Para so understandable) such is life though.

Sadly as the short Op came to an end, one of their young lads got killed by an IED. I certainly noticed how hard it hit the Bn, sure he had a brother serving in the same unit.

From what I have heard from my brother (He commissioned into the Infantry a while ago) it is very competitive to get a commission into the Royal Irish. Maybe having a strong family connection or something similar would help.

Best of luck to you buddy.

Out of interest when did the Scots, Irish & Welsh Regt's no longer require an ethnic link to join them ?

Napoleonic Wars?

Latest Threads