Non commonwealth citizen

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by MacEast, Aug 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi lads

A soldier from Sweden that have a question about joining the British Army. Have about four years service in the Swedish Army. Including a operational tour to Kosovo. Have been trained as an infantry squad leader and specialized in artic warfare (as most swedish soldiers do) and working as a sharpshooter.

But have become a bit disappointed in the lack of operational opportunities in the Swedish forces.

I have a good service record and friends the UK that would sponsor my early stay in your country.

My question is, do I need a commonwealth citizenship to join. My information tells me that I do. I have heard of several american, german and french soldiers that have joined the British Army by getting a citizenship in a commonwealth country such as Belize, Jamaica and Guyana.

Which commonwealth countries would you recommend that I'd turn to.

I have heard that there is a cap on commonwealth recruitment to some units. But not the infantry.

I am only interested in the infantry and doing operational tours abroad.
    I am not looking to "steal" any soft jobs from any Brits ;)

Would be very grateful to any Brit, Commonwealth or non Commonwealth soldier that could point me in the right direction.

Kind Regards MacEast

2. msr

msr LE

3. Unless you hold a British Passport or a British Foreign and Commonwealth passport then you are ineligible to apply for the Army.

You can of course apply for British Citizenship however from what i know that is 5 years of living in a Britain or British Commonwealth country/territory before you can apply for citizenship.