Non commonwealth citizen

Hi lads

A soldier from Sweden that have a question about joining the British Army. Have about four years service in the Swedish Army. Including a operational tour to Kosovo. Have been trained as an infantry squad leader and specialized in artic warfare (as most swedish soldiers do) and working as a sharpshooter.

But have become a bit disappointed in the lack of operational opportunities in the Swedish forces.

I have a good service record and friends the UK that would sponsor my early stay in your country.

My question is, do I need a commonwealth citizenship to join. My information tells me that I do. I have heard of several american, german and french soldiers that have joined the British Army by getting a citizenship in a commonwealth country such as Belize, Jamaica and Guyana.

Which commonwealth countries would you recommend that I'd turn to.

I have heard that there is a cap on commonwealth recruitment to some units. But not the infantry.

I am only interested in the infantry and doing operational tours abroad.
I am not looking to "steal" any soft jobs from any Brits ;)

Would be very grateful to any Brit, Commonwealth or non Commonwealth soldier that could point me in the right direction.

Kind Regards MacEast
Unless you hold a British Passport or a British Foreign and Commonwealth passport then you are ineligible to apply for the Army.

You can of course apply for British Citizenship however from what i know that is 5 years of living in a Britain or British Commonwealth country/territory before you can apply for citizenship.