Non-camo smock

Jubbles

Old-Salt
Hi all I left the TA a couple years ago and one of the things that I loved the most while in it was the Smock. Hard wearing, warm, lots of pockets and with a hood.

Does anyone know if the manufacturer of the Smock produces a non-camo version as I would really like one in say khaki or olive but don't want to walk around in camo.

I appreciate any help.

Someone somewhere some time ago did an Arctic Windproof in black.
I used to have a black, ripstop smock and trousers to go with it, looked a bit combat 95'ish but slightly better quality. I think originally issued to the MOD police (the truncheon pocket was a bit of a giveaway) - nasty man at Q&M's took it back from me when I got posted.

Years ago (err, about 25 I think) I bought a survival aids ventile smock. Still going strong, although seems to have shrunk a wee bit and is a bit like an artic smock in thicker fabric.
Closest I could see after a quick google was this: http://www.howies.co.uk/airman-oliv...7Ad3wS79p6pMXSYLUVTSGiLvBevKojyaMejsjYQ_w_wcB

Editted to add: Picture of the survival aids ventile jacket on here: http://www.greyfoxblog.com/2012/01/ventile-classic-waterproof-revived.html

Jubbles

Old-Salt
A lot if not all of these smocks are waterproof, I was hoping for something I could be active in and in my experience waterproofs are a good way to boil yourself alive if you are being active.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A lot if not all of these smocks are waterproof, I was hoping for something I could be active in and in my experience waterproofs are a good way to boil yourself alive if you are being active.

Ventile is pure cotton, threads spun and woven in such a way that it takes a long time before water seeps through (originates in WW2, as a survival suit fabric for aircrew). It is breathable, but I found the one ventile smock I ever used, was a still a bit on the 'too snug for me' side.

I was on a similar quest couple of yrs ago. The kind of smock you want is out there.

It will inevitably be pricey. So I said 'sod it' and bought camo kit fm E-Bay

Which is why I went for single layer , cuff part of sleeves wide enough to be easily rolled up and a later mod being zipped side vents for additional ventilation .

Edited to add ... I see Hilltrek now offer side zips as an optional extra when ordering .

Last edited:
At the risk of being Jarrod this has been covered before. There were some clowns selling a smock that wasn't cut properly so didn't fit ANYBODY in any size, Bison Bushcraft they were called. SASS made really good stuff but have closed down.

If you can get a ventile one you'll love it forever. My SASS one is still hanging on.

Always the problem , if its breathable it leaks!

British Army issue desert smock, 20 quid. Black clothing dye, 4 quid. Combine the two. Job done

Latest Threads