non article 5 medal afghan

any guru's out there clarify something for me please.

am i entitled to claim this medal (herrick 2006 & 2007), i know that cannot wear it next to the osm but just wondered if i can ask for it before i get out in a couple of months.

only asking as our lads have just come back & they all got both medals whereas we never.

cheers.

all the best

FiveAlpha said:
If you qualified for the OSM then you're entitled to the non article.
got it 3 years ago & now mounted with others.

GeneralMalaise said:
Not allowed to wear the non-article 5 though.
aye i know that G_M stated that in the first statement (not paying again to get my medals remounted for the sake of one more), but never been issued one so in principal i should be able to ask for one

Agreed you're not allowed to wear it (including mess dress). There's bound to be some lying around in a clerks office somewhere. I know our clerk had a box full of them gathering dust in his stationary locker.

one of our lads just been crated for wearing it on his #1's for his wedding

What Medal was issued before the non article 5

I was there just the Loya Jurga (Mong Spelling)

and I still havent got a Medal

Nightrained said:
And apparently you can get one for every tour of Afghan, but might just be a rumor.
If you could, why would you bother? For all the use a non-article 5 afghan medal is...

Now if it was made of chocolate...

hedgie said:
What Medal was issued before the non article 5

I was there just the Loya Jurga (Mong Spelling)

and I still havent got a Medal
Waaahh? If not then.....

I take it you were on Op Fingal? If so then its the same OSM.

I was issued mine after being in Kabul in 2002 and the same medal is being issued for Op Herrick.

I was on Fingal, went up to Bagram to support Jacana and have deployed twice on Herrick (I loves Afghan, I do!). I didn't get the Non Article 5 for Fingal/Jacana but I got it in 2007 for Herrick 6. Waste of time if you can't wear it. I also got the Non Article 5 for Oculus but again, can't wear it because I already have the NATO Kosovo medal.