Non-Article 5 Balkans Medal - Cant wear it!

Discussion in 'REME' started by Arr3eH0Le, Jul 20, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have done Balkan tours with UN and NATO between 1993 and 1999, and got the relevant Corkage for my 2's. When I recently went to Kos I got given a medal and told I couldn't wear it because I already had NATO medals from before. I wouldn't mind but the medal ribbon is of a completely different design. Thoughts?

2. You are only allowed to wear the 'new' pan-Balkans medal if you haven't got any of the others. Bonk? Yes. The decision was taken for political reasons, as the move away from 2 separate medals (representing 2 separate zones and op tours) was not something UK PLC necessarily agreed with (still 2 separate ones in spirit if not practice), unlike the US who were driving for it to allow them to make certain troop economies by spreading out across one with a unified HQ structure stretching back to (what was) AFSOUTH.

I personally think we should allow our people to wear it as some really 'lucky' types will actually get all 4 - representing a truly astonishing period in European history - if they did! :D