non-AAC NCO - Piloting prospects

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by norfolk_n_chance, Sep 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was hoping anyone who has recently transferred from a non-AAC or REME Regt/Corps as an NCO specifically to complete Army pilot training could take a few moments to PM me.

My thanks in advance.

2. Hopefully someone has replied to you - if not, bump. Throughout the process of getting to the APC and wings I found that persistence made up for lack of talent and aptitude.

Good luck to you :D

3. Many thanks Victorian_Major.

I've received a lead to follow, but would warmly welcome any other voices on the realities and pitfalls of a non-AAC/REME NCO application for APC.

4. Well, firstly if you are in an Air Tech environment - you'll get a lot of stick. Ignore it. It's a mixture of banter and envy. Whilst it is friendly, all it can do is reduce your confidence.

But there are plenty of people who will support you. Your HQ is required to staff your papers but they can go missing. So keep an eye on this one.

If you are in an avn environment get chatting to the pilots and the QHI in particular. Any QHI who doesn't return a genuine enquiry with genuine interest isn't worth their pay. The chances are that they come from a similar background to you, after all. If you aren't in an avn environment then jack up a visit to flying sqn and make some friends.

This visit is an important indication that you are seriously interested in flying. Learn as much as you can, angle for a trip in a simulator (you'll be very lucky to get some real flying I'm afraid but it isn't unheard of).

Sheer tenacity and doggedness will help you get a long way. You'll need this even if you have the aptitude, I promise you.

I met so many soldiers on tasks, RAATs, exercises and ops who would say that they wished they had gone for pilot training. The only difference between me and them was that I put my papers in and went for it. Don't be one of them.

5. Once again, many thanks Victorian Major, and to all those who PMd me.

It was encouraging to read that the people who did transfer and PMd all seem to have truly been in for the long run, which speaks volumes about the job satisfaction they've got.

All I can say is that the job looks unique and immensely rewarding, and I certainly hope to try for it in a couple of years or so, when some of my current commitments clear up, and I can focus fully on the challenge ahead.