Nominations for the best /Worst /Wierdest Bar in the world

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Flyingrockdj, Mar 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

What are yours, historical and Urban legends allowed!

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Worst

The Drum, Tidworth early 70's.
    Any run by NAAFI

Best

A Company Club, Mercer Bks, Oz late 60's

Best

The ones I can't remember the next day

3. Wierdest
    Johnnys hole in the wall bar (gib)
    it was all the underpants round the wall that got me. What was that all about?

4. Legend: The Globetrotter in Aldershot, spiral staircase that took you down into the depths of Hell!

5. two foreign ones for you.

Clos in Berlin where they serve beer in glass bedpans.

and

Nouvelle Justine in New York which is a Fetish/S&M themed bar and restaurant. there is also Lucky Chens in NY which is your traditional restaurant/bar with all the staff being drag artists.
    Also red Rock West in NY which is very like the bar in the film Coyote Ugly.

As you can tell I have been to New York a few times!

6. Weirdest: Bar Pastis, end of Las Ramblas, Barcelona. Landlord prone to getting hammered and letting the punters help themselves. Money gets left on the bar...

7. Has that since been re-named 'The Goose', or is that another bar?

8. No mate, it was the George that became the travesty that is now the Goose, the GT was just down from there opposite the Wellington Centre.

9. Mon Cheri's, Berlin.

The floor of the stage opened up to reveal a bath that unsuspecting punters were whisked into for a quick and highly public throw with the 'artistes'.

It was called the 'Berlin Combat Swim Test' when I was there.

An honourable mention should go to O'Shaugnessy's in Brussels (near the Commission). Imagine the Belgian idea of an Irish American themed bar. Shudder.

10. 12 Sqn RE attic bar in Osnabruck. Roof runs, sprog boxing, 20 man rugby scrums, general mayhem.

The furniture was rebuilt every Sunday, mainly held together by Harry Black and green string. :thumleft: :thumleft:

11. Havnt been to the shot in a while mate. What replaced The Globetrotter anyway?...not Yates?..my geography of the shot isnt as good as it used to be.!

12. No, the GT used to be where the shops are, just opposite Jeromes the 'gentlemans outfitters', it was an underground drinking den, it closed down about 84 ish I think then reopened a few years later as the Queen Victoria until it's ultimate demise.

13. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

How about the Lo's Bar on the roof of that block in DV barracks in split, when the QDG ran it was awesome!
    Naked Tom Jones singing!
    Gay as you like

14. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The best. The Better 'Ole bar in Fan Ling, New Territories, Hong Kong. Near railway station. Ice cold San Mig and very hot curries, with ultra hot women.
    Wosrt? The Drum, as previously quoted.

15. Best -

A bit off the beaten track for most, but The Templeton in Templepatrick, Antrim - a few miles from the Caffreys Brewery, and If anyone finds a better pint of Caffreys, i'll eat my hat. It also does bloody nice scoff.

Worst -

Savoys - Paderborn. Fucking dump. OK if you are in boxing training though, no shortage of sparring partners :threaten: