Nominating someone for an honour

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Ord_Sgt, Aug 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I would like to nominate someone for an honour for some of the outstanding work they have done well and truly above and beyond. I’ve been and had a look at the relevant webpage for nominating honours. For those interested its here.

Clearly there are people here on ARRSE who have nominated people for honours in the past and indeed bound to be a few who have received them If anybody has any advice on pitfalls etc it would be gratefully received.

Now what I’m also after is some help writing up the nomination. I was never good at writing interesting reports etc, haven’t the imagination don’t you know. So I am after someone who is good at getting the point across and also making the subject stand out from the crowd. You know the type of thing, we’ve all read reports written by such people which once you’ve read it you find yourself asking if there’s been some mistake :D

So if you are good at writing reports and such like on people, put your false modesty aside and help me out. Either post something on here or PM me for further details.

And just for intrigue the individual will be known to some here on ARRSE.

Thanks

Ord

2. Ord

I assume this is military. There is a form you fill in and submit to your formation through G1. To carry any weight you will need your CO or OC to wr?te it.

It is a monumental pain but worth doing - I wrote 2 lads minor awards and it was well worth the effort when they got them.

Good luck.

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Although the person is related to the military its not a military award. I knew someone was going to say it will be a pain in the ARRSE :D I think the person concerned deserves it so I'll try and put a little effort in ;)

4. Ord

The link you had in your first post has a really good checklist behind it - just over half way down. Or direct: http://www.honours.gov.uk/nominate/checklist.aspx

Think of a couple of instances under each of the headings. Then lace them together in an illustration of the ways in which this has really made a difference to other people. Just jot things down at this stage.

You're right in saying it's in the writing. But don't be put off by the blank sheet of paper. Might be worth just taking it through with someone who doesn't know him / her, and even (sounds odd this I know, but stick with it) recording the converstion. What points do you find yourself making when explaining why they deserve the honour? What is it about them that really makes the conversation come to life? Where's the spark?

Then write the citation to address the points on the checklist, using the words and phrases which gave the conversation a buzz. The more personal the content, the more persuasively it will read.

And then it's time to tidy it up, check the syntax and shorten the sentences. Leave it for 24 hours then re-read as if you're seeing it for the first time. Does it still say what you want it to? Any quick revisions, and then send it.

Meanwhile, stay at it. Too few do, and it is worth doing. Good luck

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Thanks BC just the advice I was looking for. I'm normally a complete ARRSE when it comes to this sort of thing :)

6. How about a well filled brown envelope to 10 Downing Street? Don't worry about getting caught. The Lord Chamerlain will sort it out. And the media will quietly ignore it.

7. Nah. Wouldn't work. Ord seems to have someone that's worthwhile and has actually done something. That goes into on the pile on the left of the desk. Overflowing brown envelopes are for those who are s*d all use for anything else. They go on the pile on the right. Lord Chamberlain gets all confused by applications that are both, and calls in Yates of the Yard.

8. I believe there is about a 1 in 3 chance of a nomination getting an award. There are no quotas, each submission is assessed on its own merits.

I've submitted two in my time, one successful one not. I must admit to doing somersaults down the street when I saw my nominee's name on the New Year Honours list. Flash to bang time is anything from 7 to 18 months.

As BC says - it's all in the writing. Our Chief clerk gave me a few pointers to get me motivated and I ran them both passed the adj before I submitted them to the CO.

Best of luck.

9. I have been trying for 5yrs for er-indoors.

42yrs to Nursing and still going strong,at present working in a Hospice.
    Also a service lass (QARANC) 7yrs

All to no avail.......gave it to the local lollypop lady who stood in for someone 9yrs ago and still doing it. :x

10. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

Ord_Sgt

You also need to line up the three letters of support, which also need to be well written, before you send the bundle off the London.

PM me if you need some more help, I have done a few of these with some success.

11. The MBE is not a long service award, probably the reason so many are knocked back.

12. diplomat

diplomat War Hero Book Reviewer

Ord_Sgt

Check your PM

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Thanks diplomat - I've replied via PM, no point in clogging this up.

14. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Shameless bump ;)