Noisy chemical detector thingy.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Biscuits_Brown, Sep 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is anyone able to give me a short, simple(ish) description of the electrochemical operation of NAIAD?

Not device operation, rather how the enzyme pack was affected by the presence of an agent and the resultant change in the circuit that caused the alarm to sound.

All in the interests of edumacation.
  2. Or polo mints.
  3. The genius of arrsers never ceases to amaze!

It's so simple when you put it like that.
  4. There were loads of real ones knocking about in the late 90's for training.

Possibly as they were ******* useless.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GW1. They were a PITA. Constantly going off in the presence of MT fumes (oils, exhausts etc) so units sensibly reached the decision that unless you heard/saw an explosion or were attacked, you were pretty safe and could leave them switched off. Unless your really, really liked full IPE.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. DEET in the insect repellant is a problem as well.
  7. A lot of solvents would bother them too.
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

when we trained with them we used fly spray up wind at a few hundred meters. if they broke they would stick them on a shelf for a year then send you them back - must have had self healing circuitry or something.
  9. I still swear blind they were a prop from Aliens.

They had blinky lights and made a noise and looked the part but they didn't actualy do anything.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. [h=2]Noisy chemical detector thingy.[/h]
    ike this...?

11. We called that the M8 Chemical Agent Alarm System. I took NBC Training in 1982 and I remember having to dick around with one of these things in training. Very fussy and prone to false alarms. They were used extensively in GW1 by us but not so much in GW2. (Invasion of Iraq 2003) I forgot all the details about its operation but if I remember right it sniffed the air and if there was something in it that reacted with the chemical in the box it sounded the alarm. Skeeter repellent could do it sometimes.

M8 Chemical Agent Alarm.jpg
  12. RVDs were pretty noisy.
  13. NAIAD (Nerve Agent Immobiliser and Agent Detector) supposedly did what it says on the tin and detected nerve agents. Nerve agents are chemicals that interfere with an enzyme found in the tiny gaps between the bits of your nervous system, called acetylcholinesterase. The mechanism of nerve agent action is moot, just remember that it basically stops this acetylcholinesterase from working and you PRIT-HIDE-NIMS to oblivion.

Right, NAIAD had a pad that contained butyrylcholinesterase, which for the purposes of the detector, is affected by nerve agents in the same way as acetylcholinesterase is. So far, so simple(ish).

Now this pad, which is exposed to the ambient environment (and so any possible agent), is continually washed with a special solution that is affected by the butyrylcholinesterase. The butyrylcholinesterase helps a reaction take place in the special solution, that changes the electrical properties of this special solution. The run off from this solution goes into a container where some electrodes monitor its electrical potential.

All being well, there is no nerve agent to stop the butyrylcholinesterase from working, so it can affect the special solution, leading to a 'routine' set of electrical properties of the solution. If the butyrylcholinesterase is affected by nerve agent (or, annoyingly, quite a few other things) it doesn't work as well on the special solution, so the electrical properties of the runoff change. This is sensed and it alarms. You mask in 9 and, err, then discover it's gone off by mistake.

All of the above - and details of the exact chemicals, etc - can be found Open Source if you know where to look....
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Or the Nerve Agent Immobilized enzyme Alarm and Detector

just sounded better than 'NAIEAD' or 'NAIEDA'.