Noise Induced Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'RAC' started by ACTION-LOAD-SABOT, Dec 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Iam sure I am not the only tank crewman to suffer both these conditions. When I left in 96 my release medical recorded a 19% hearing loss, very convenient cause at the time the MOD only paid out for a 20% or above loss. Like most I didn't make too much of a fuss cause at the age of 40 I knew it would be hard enough to start a new career without having the 'deaf' tag. The tinnitus had also been with me for years but it was something we just put up with. Despite being a gunnery god for most of my time I don't blame the firing, the problem was working on the tank park from 73-86 not wearing any hearing protection. Chieftain CFT, rev to 2000 rpm and listen for unusual knocking noises...........yes I am sure many remember doing this. Get to the point..........tried to pursue a claim for a few years after leaving but got fed up being patronised, just wondered if anyone out there had a similar experience or actually had some success in getting some recompence?

2. Say Again! :twisted:

3. I was told on my final medical my hearing was shot, but if i took the disability route, i wouldnt find work, so i didnt claim. Im pretty sure there is a set time to claim, and probably after 12 years its too long.

4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The British legion are willing for free to challenge your assesment for you!

5. I blame goonery instructors.

6. My old man was in the RTR for years. He suffers with tinnitus and cannot hear high notes well. He gets a war pension based on his hearing loss attributed to his service.

I've just had a look at the RBL website
    and I don't think you can make a claim if 5 years has passed since the cause of your injury/hearing loss. But then again, what do I know?

It might be worth giving them a call, though.

Compensation Claims against the MOD for Personal Injury caused by Negligence

Email: Claims

Telephone +44 (0)20 3207 2163
    Fax +44 (0)20 3207 2218

Pensions & Disability Department
    The Royal British Legion
    Haig House, 199 Borough High Street
    London SE1 1AA

7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its not a new claim but a case for revieiwng your original pensionable medical status!
    You can claim for deafness, I am over 20 years out and waiting to fail a work medical due to tinnitus and have been told I can still claim a war pension based on my 10 years service!
    Mine is mainly due to high end noise such as being delivered by food blenders (both crab and TWA as neither provided any hearring protection for pax!)

8. Again :roll:

9. eh?

10. Thanks for the responses guys, had heard (pardon the pun) the RBL might be able to help, also conscious of a cut off date. Trelawney you will have to say it LOUDER :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. I do apologise...I have been drinking!

12. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I transferred out to the RAPC in 1982. Upon arrival on attachment to 12 Armd Wksp, I learned that the RAMC were going to carry out a hearing test on all ranks.

Come my turn, they (and I) were shocked to discover that the hearing in my right ear was reduced by about 85% especially at higher frequencies. I had been blissfully unaware.

A couple of years later as my end of tour approached, the RAMC returned to repeat the stunt. I was quite surprised to be told that my hearing was entirely normal.

I have always put it down to spending the previous years on CVR(T) with live mike playing into the right ear and wind noise whistling over the boom mike.

13. Hi Why do you not just ask for a review of your disablement. As previous have said the RBL offer a fantastic service they are used to dealing with these issues .I left in 1988 claimed in 1990 was given 1-4 % assessment appealed was given a further 6-14 % appealed, not accepted went for a tribunal with RBL support and was given 20% with a review 3 years after.This took over 2 years but I knew that my hearing and Tinitus were far worse that they were picking up,but it is so difficult to explain and convince anyone,its a bit like the bad back syndrome.
    All they have are facts and medical evidence from so called "experts ". The loss of hearing since leaving the service due to age of course is not attributal nor is any other employment .So your release and routine hearing tests are the yardstick i am afraid.
    The problem with hearing claims was that they were swamped with claims in the 70s and 80s and for some unknown reason now they will not pay out unless it is assessed at 20% or higher .All other claims are i think lump sum below 20%
    At my hearing tribunal the funny thing was the head of the tribunal who had just found in my favour came to the room where myself and the RBL rep were sorting out the paperwork and gave us both a bollocking for not placeing a claim for injuries to my hips, legs, and knee sustained in an on duty RTA. Placed the claim and a month or so later later increased pension.
    I would not have claimed for these injuries if he had not told me on release you were not advised well we were not then.
    In the case of the Veterans agency i can only also say that they give or gave me a very good service.They answer promptly all letters emails and telephone calls, at the end of the day all they have are your medical records and believe me they have them chapter and verse to refer to. Well good luck, persevere,if you are injured you are entitled to the compensation. The problem with hearing it cant be seen and therefore is a difficult one