Noise cancelling headphones / ear defenders

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Bravo_Bravo, May 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having seen my CO with a very Gucci pair of battery-powered ear defenders, I'm curious about them. AIUI they are issued to Gunners.

Can anyobne tell mw about them; price, manufacturer etc?

The CO was issued his via the MO, not a position I'm in.

2. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

For milspec ones you're talking several hundred pounds, if not into the thousands, depending what they do and what they link into (some are intercom sets etc). Try Esterline defence (formally Racal)

You can get similar things at you local gun shop (without the radio interfaces). The battery powers active noise cancelling to remove background noise (engines etc).

For really Gucci ones google Bose, but they're less effective with instantaneous noises, such as gunshots or large artillery pieces. I'd do it for you but I'm too lazy.
  3. I've got a pair of the Bose QuietComfort 3 - they're wonderful headphones - good for airplane journeys. But they are completely useless for drowning out the wife talking or gunshots.
  4. What about wife talking THEN gunshots, wife stops talking...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Personally, I'd recommend you go for the gun-trade ones. They not only cancel out wives, gunshots and sirens, you can also turn the amplification up so that barely audible stuff can be heard, such as the crying of small babies in bushes, being quietly smothered by their frightened mothers. You can not only home in on your prey, but also amplify useful conversations or instructions, whilst still cutting out the sudden bangs, as well as loud engines and the like.

Slimline electronic ones at £89.95 (we sell them at The Outdoorsman) work exceltionally well, are available in green and fit under your bone-dome.

Call one of our girls on 01424 429343 for further info [shameless advert] :D
  6. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I have now spoken to one of the girls and asked about "the noise cancelling ones that I can turn up so I can hear the crying of small babies in bushes being quietly smothered by their frightened mothers. I want to be able to home in on my prey." She is now in tears and threatening to call the police. What should I do?
  7. What, the 'solf locking' ones that you are selling for £108?
  8. You mean these don't you?

I have so many I give them away buckshee to Crafties.

You can't have any though.

Here's the NSN- **** ** *** ****

No need for thanks.
  9. Do you want the extra special ones which nullify the sound of EX STABS constant high pitched bleating?
  10. :D

You are on form today, youth.
  11. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Details, details - the site's a bit out of date. My first price is correct, hence the phone number. :oops:
  12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Try Big Boys Toys at a Bisley meet, folding OG biaural electronic n/c ear defenders at £50.- a pair - and they fit under a lid.
  13. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Best ED I've ever used, without a shadow of a doubt, were the ones that everyone got custom fitted in 2009. The ones where the team came round, poured moulding goo into your ears then made perfect fits that sank right into your ear canal.

Keeping the plastic plugs in them means I can't hear bugger all, keeping one out away from the noise meant I could hear what I needed to. Brilliant. No fuss, tiny.

I thought everyone got those? No?
  14. Got fitted for them on the way out in '08, but never got them. Several people got ear problems from the moulding process so I think it may have been curtailed or possibly knocked on the head.
  15. AIUI the moulded ones are issued pre-deployment.

Would I need a chit from the MO before I could get the ones shown by Spaz, or just a helpful Q and an NSN?