Nobody knows who the SEAL was ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_bloke, Aug 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I read the headlines from the Mail...

The words the SEAL who killed Osama Bin Laden radioed home - and why no-one will ever know his identity

Yet in the New Yorker Nic Schmindle states that.

The commander of DEVGRU’s Red Squadron, whom I will call James, sat on the floor, squeezed among ten other SEALs, Ahmed, and Cairo. (The names of all the covert operators mentioned in this story have been changed.) James, a broad-chested man in his late thirties, does not have the lithe swimmer’s frame that one might expect of a SEAL—he is built more like a discus thrower. That night, he wore a shirt and trousers in Desert Digital Camouflage, and carried a silenced Sig Sauer P226 pistol, along with extra ammunition; a CamelBak, for hydration; and gel shots, for endurance. He held a short-barrel, silenced M4 rifle. (Others SEALs had chosen the Heckler & Koch MP7.)

Read more The Mission to Get Osama Bin Laden : The New Yorker

A second SEAL stepped into the room and trained the infrared laser of his M4 on bin Laden’s chest. The Al Qaeda chief, who was wearing a tan shalwar kameez and a prayer cap on his head, froze; he was unarmed. “There was never any question of detaining or capturing him—it wasn’t a split-second decision. No one wanted detainees,” the special-operations officer told me. (The Administration maintains that had bin Laden immediately surrendered he could have been taken alive.) Nine years, seven months, and twenty days after September 11th, an American was a trigger pull from ending bin Laden’s life. The first round, a 5.56-mm. bullet, struck bin Laden in the chest. As he fell backward, the SEAL fired a second round into his head, just above his left eye. On his radio, he reported, “For God and country—Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo.” After a pause, he added, “Geronimo E.K.I.A.”—“enemy killed in action.”

Read more The Mission to Get Osama Bin Laden : The New Yorker

So Im guessing that Jimbo might have been the shooter. Not 100 percent sure though.

The Mail a paper that some people who can,t seem to find stuff out work for , sometimes , sort of.
  2. It was Charlie Sheen.....err I mean Lt Hawkins...
  3. The walting opportunities this offers are prodigious. Offing Bin Laden will be the American Balcony.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. It won't be long before Tropper adds this to his CV.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The relevant SEAL is going to be a very rich man one day; I bet the book & film rights are already being auctioned...

6. Third rock from the left. :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. I wish, fervently, that I could shake said SEAL warmly by the hand and buy him a gel shot with vodka or whatever he prefers. Whoever he is he got my own back on Bin Laden for all the security crap I have to deal with at airports. Well done that man!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Not quite. they should have made him wait for four hours and pulled his shoes to bits, and then shot him.
  9. Pretty bone statement,....... nobody knows!

I know the septics have a pretty short attention span, but I'm sure the bloke knows himself, as does his team, his hierarchy, most of his unit, half of the Pentagon and Sate department staffs and that coloured caretaker bloke who's cleaning the oval office until the next real incumbent is selected by Rupert Murdoch.

Oh and Tropper, eye witnesses are always a bugger...........
  10. Are you telling me you look like this?

11. Its a shame they had to shoot him to death, otherwise, would have been great to ask Bin Laden, how many dollars he got from the America for the pipe line deal with unicol, and would have been great, to have personally tortured him

12. Kandak, you couldn't torture a rice pudding.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Am I the only one that felt a bit sickly? The author must diet on corn.
  14. Wryly amused in my case. I'm only surprised he didn't add something about apple pie.
  15. Not altogether sure any of the team would want their identity made public. Fatwah etc?