Nobody else hear the explosion/thunder last night!?

Got mates from Glasgow, through York and Liverpool, all the way to Portsmouth who heard it at the same time, about 01:52. Was extremely loud, sounded like thunder of sorts and lasted a good 20 seconds.

Genuinely freaked us all out, and judging by the number of facebook statuses people made about it, it wasn't just in our imagination.

Mrs S heard this too, in the Swindon area (I was crashed out with my hearing aid removed).

Apparently the Geminid meteor shower is still going... could it be an extra large one causing a shock wave as it entered the lower atmosphere?

Mrs S heard this too, in the Swindon area (I was crashed out with my hearing aid removed).

Apparently the Geminid meteor shower is still going... could it be an extra large one causing a shock wave as it entered the lower atmosphere?
a bolide entering the atmosphere is a favourite explanation... but meteors are too small, the size of a pea, I would have thought.

Well, some of them reach the ground as meteorites, so can't have been that small...
yes but I think it would have to enter at a shallow angle to be heard along that length of track, glasgow to portsmouth, also would there have been likely to have been a time delay from one end to the other... ie they would not have heard it at the same time ?

yes but I think it would have to enter at a shallow angle to be heard along that length of track, glasgow to portsmouth, also would there have been likely to have been a time delay from one end to the other... ie they would not have heard it at the same time ?
Dunno... Orbital speed is about 25k mph, isn't it? so at that rate, Glasgow to London (about 400 miles) would take... about 1.5 minutes? And I guess the relative speed will have been a lot higher than that. I reckon it might well all have happened between 1:52 and 1:53.

All guesswork on my part, I'm not an astronomer, nor a mathematician.

Edit: No, bollocks, not 1.5 minutes, more like 4.

Latest Threads