No4 Bayonet

ugly

LE
I was brought one of these yesterday, I think I have identified it as a Savage No4 Mk11 and made before 1945 when nomenclature changed. I dont expect anyone to be able to identify the other stampings, I am assuming a unit stamped it to go with a rifle and restamped it when it was paired with another. One of the numbers is struck through indicating as much. I wasn't aware that No4 bayonets were serial numbered to rifles, as they were often made and shipped separately even to scabbards it does seem a bit OTT even for that era!
DSCN1159.JPG
DSCN1160.JPG

@4T for any comments?

Attachments

I was brought one of these yesterday, I think I have identified it as a Savage No4 Mk11 and made before 1945 when nomenclature changed. I dont expect anyone to be able to identify the other stampings, I am assuming a unit stamped it to go with a rifle and restamped it when it was paired with another. One of the numbers is struck through indicating as much. I wasn't aware that No4 bayonets were serial numbered to rifles, as they were often made and shipped separately even to scabbards it does seem a bit OTT even for that era! View attachment 342636 View attachment 342637

@4T for any comments?

There are two or three batches of No4 Mk2 rifles that were sent out complete with matching numbered bayonets. Over in USA, quite a few of the remaining unused "wrapped" No4 rifles have the numbered bayonet inside the wrapper with the rifle.

At least one of these batches ended up in Ireland. The others may well have been intended for some of the small Foreign Office orders on the Ministry of Supply's list - it would make sense for a small island police force to get rifles and bayonets in one go, for example. Probably many of these batches never got to the intended recipients, but instead went to larger units - where the bayonet was just chucked into the stores seperated from the rifle.

The much-quoted No4 Mk2 production batch "list" obviously was a planning document, and the actual deliveries by number block are known to have become completely arbitrary (hence all the US hysteria for "Irish contract" rifles, when most of the ones in the number block never went there at all).

ugly

LE
But not unusual to find them stored without scabbards? I have done a little research and pictures exist of RAOC depot packaging dated 1986

ugly

LE
British No. 4 Spike Bayonets

There are quite a few sources available, Skennerton as usual offers the option to read (buy) his book on British bayonets rather than list them with the rifles.

But not unusual to find them stored without scabbards? I have done a little research and pictures exist of RAOC depot packaging dated 1986

The numbered No4 bayonets also have the lip of the scabbard numbered. I guess they were intended for a customer with more than usual storeman OCD traits!

For the bulk issues to the British armed forces, the bayonets were available from depot either complete with scabbard or as separate components. IIRC somewhere I have new-in-wrap bayonet and scabbards in separate Donnington packaging.

ugly

LE
I wanted one as a letter opener and ended up with loads