No2 MkII Modified burner (Leaded Petrol)

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by walt_of_the_walts, Sep 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BRITISH ARMY FIELD STOVE / COOKER NO. 2 MK2 MODIFIED | eBayust found one of these in my Det store, and was wondering what other arrsers, old 'n' bold etc; think of this bit of kit. I've cleaned it up, and it looks good to go. Since it runs on petrol, I won't be letting any cadet use it. I've also got the large square dixie and lid with it too.

Mine is in fairly good nick, but might be missing some tools in the windshield. It only has the spanner,the flame adjuster rod and the gauze filtered spout. Is this correct? Anything missing?

And how do I get leaded petrol? Will LRP do? Can I get something special from a hardware shop?

Is it worth the bother, or should I invest in calor gas burners instead?

2. I think that was all the tools they came with.

LRP won't amke any difference compared to leaded (unless you're running it in an engine), as I seem to recall those things were pretty tolerant of what you fed them. It's basically a big MSR stove.

We used to run our diesel stoves on a mixture of JP-8 and petrol, which kept the nozzle a little cleaner.

3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I've got the double burner and the oven for it in the shed. plain ole petrol does the job nicely for a cheap cooker compared to gas or coleman fuel even with the price of petrol now.

they are tough enough to stick a chuffing big billy on top or even a modified dustbin to make a sort of american burner/water boiler.

4. Check the condition of the seals around the filler and the hand primer on the fuel tank. The ones I have used, tended to leak from these and give impressive results!

• Like Like x 1
  5. 70 QUID!!!I've got one of those in me garage. Oh the kids are eating spam this weekend, best dust it off and get it sold!!!

6. Seals look good. I'll only know for sure when I put some petrol in it. I'll give it a try this weekend.

7. Fill it with something other than petrol and run it up to (over) pressure. As well as the seals the little pipe between the tank and the burner is apt to develop very small splits... this is really spectacular when fired up. 'Flamenwerfer' springs to mind.

The other major failing area is the washer on the pressure pump, it's leather and will fail if it's been dry for a a long period.

Spares are available, it shares certain parts, including the aforementioned leather washer with one of the larger Alladin hurricane lamps. Your lid should also include a spare jet.

8. Mine was brand new, sold it for £150 on EBay!!!

9. I bought some red lead additive, so a few drops in the tank and topped off with unleaded and I'm good to go.

Bit scared to use it after hearing horror stories about this type of burner.

10. Just out of curiosity ..why are you so concerned about the lead? It's a stove not a cortina engine.

• Like Like x 1
  11. May as well drop some redex in there as well, in for a penny and all that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bog standard lead free runs fine in one. As does lighter fluid in a pinch.

If the feeds and jet are clean, it builds pressure, releases fuel at the head end and doesn't leak anywhere it shouldn't, you're good to go. As I said previously, load it with detergent, or degreaser and pressurise it, then you'll clean the feed lines and see if it leaks, blow out the jet, clean the slots in the burner head.... It'll keep going forever.

13. £20-30 is a bit more common TBH.

14. Pressure it up, and with a soapy paint brush brush all the joints; any leaks show up as bubbles, so much nicer than a length of burning petrol.

• Like Like x 2