No1 dress for best man/men

Iqbal Achieve

Old-Salt
Apologies if this has been asked before, but couldn't find anything specific: I have been asked to wear my No1 dress for a friends wedding- as one of three of best men.
What are the rules/etiquette for this? In my mind it usually the groom that wears No1's and the rest wear 2's.
To add context i'm the only serving bod going, but there will be older vets there- I cant be arrsed with hassle from some old, pissed up retired RSM.

Thanks.

theinventor

War Hero
I married in blues, of my 4 mates who attended in uniform to do the sword guard thing (but mainly to pull chicks) three wore blues and one didn't read the brief properly and turned up in ginger drinking suit. It was the ones in blues who pulled - including one who met his future wife that day.

Top tip: it's your wedding and no Adjt or RSM can tell you how to do it, unless of course you make the mistake of doing it on service premises.

If you have No. 1 Dress, all you should need to do is request permission to wear it.
I would suggest asking your OC (through your CoC), no reason for them to refuse, though they may insist on you being on you being a model of decorum. Just make sure you have a sanitised set of pictures available if anyone in the CoC asks how it went.

I understood the groom should be in No 1 (Ceremonial) and everyone else in No 1 (Non Ceremonial). The difference for R Signals (I wore the latter to my Sister's wedding at her request) was plain shoulder boards rather than gold twists & Sam Browne with leather scabbard rather than waist sash & sword slings with silver scabbard.

In my opinion, if neither the groom nor the bulk of the “best men” will be in uniform, then neither should you be.

Think of it this way. If the bride decided she preferred pink for herself and all but one of the bridesmaids and then asked the last bridesmaid to wear white, what would you say then?

If the groom isn't wearing a uniform then I would go in a lounge suit.

I think that someone in a uniform would detract from the star of the show. A la Markle announcing her pregnancy at someone else's wedding.

Beaten to it by Mr Serious.

If I have gone to military weddings then I've worn rig. If it isn't a mil wedding then I've gone in a suit or tux. Never felt the need to standout at someone else's wedding.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
I understood the groom should be in No 1 (Ceremonial) and everyone else in No 1 (Non Ceremonial). The difference for R Signals (I wore the latter to my Sister's wedding at her request) was plain shoulder boards rather than gold twists & Sam Browne with leather scabbard rather than waist sash & sword slings with silver scabbard.
This.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
If I have gone to military weddings then I've worn rig. If it isn't a mil wedding then I've gone in a suit or tux. Never felt the need to standout at someone else's wedding.
At my wedding, having represented the regiment in 15/19H PTU (think Adam Ant kit) at Brenda's official birthday at JHQ, I asked if I might wear same to wedding. Especially since the fragrant soon to be Zero Alpha had told me not to turn up in Sh¡t Kit (Twos) or Canteen Cowboy kit (Ones). Regiment bent over backwards to help self and Best Man. SSM (whom I used to drive) provided me George Boots with spurs and RSM sourced matching sabres. A troop leader provided white gloves that weren't NBC inners.

Zero Alpha hasn't forgiven me for upstaging her at her wedding, but admits it looked good.

My brother was in Northumbria Police SPG (disbanded for making the Waffen SS look soft). Zero Alpha drew the line at him turning up in uniform because forty years down the line it would look like I'd been let out for the day.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
My sister requested that I wear uniform at her wedding I was the only one doing so.
There was no chance of getting 1's so I made do with 2's

and ammo boots

plus the one medal I had at the time

of course I pulled.

Iqbal Achieve

Old-Salt
Thanks guys, just to clarify- I don’t particularly want to wear it. I don’t want to detract from the groom, and I’ll stand out like a massive tit. Which isn’t good considering the reception is in an old colliery club, with a steady level of casual violence.
The groom asked me to….I’m tempted to chin it off.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks guys, just to clarify- I don’t particularly want to wear it. I don’t want to detract from the groom, and I’ll stand out like a massive tit. Which isn’t good considering the reception is in an old colliery club, with a steady level of casual violence.

one of the Chefs at 4 Med Regt got married to a bloke she met on tour - there was something like 20 of us (mostly RE and built like brick outhouses) all in 2's at the reception in a pub ( I remember it was somewhere in Wales)

One local F'wit decided that it's a great idea to square up to one lad in 2's (genuinely unprovoked) when his mates realised that not only was there another 19 or so people in the same clothing but the rest of the wedding party was heading their way and started dragging him away.

Best go for something that allows wearing of a sword, then. Walked back from Sister's wedding through Oxford from her College to the Randolph & had no problems with miscreants, ne'er-do-wells or rozzers, & cloakroom at Randolph said it was the first time someone had left a sword in their care in living memory.

Some people are fat/ugly and need all the help they can get pulling a bridesmaid.
Like the OP

Latest Threads