No1 Company. 1st Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteers

Does anyone know anything about this company or battalion? Any early photos or information about the bn bugler's and COs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Because I'm trying to find out about the unit that is engraved on a bugle. Just thought it would be good to know who the first people to blow it would of been 150 years ago

Try contacting the Hon Colonel of 60 (RBH) Squadron / troop / det / in Aylesbury. I remember from my time in the Squadron, when they tried to get the old name(s) back, that the looked not only at the Hussars, but at the Bucks infantry units as a whole.
alternatively, try the museum at Buckingham that has a lot of the early history / uniforms.

Will maybe go down there tonight (pressumeing that's their drill night). I got the bugle from 7 rifles but they hardly know anything about the history of it and names
Thanks

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
coxy93 said:
Will maybe go down there tonight (pressumeing that's their drill night). I got the bugle from 7 rifles but they hardly know anything about the history of it and names
Thanks
coxy93,

I've gathered a bit of experience in military historical research over the past few years and moreover The Rifles is my regiment, so I will do some digging on your behalf.

The RGJ museum in Winchester as mentioned above, is a vedry good place to start, but feel free to send me any details and I'll see what I can get for you from this end. How exactly did you get it from 7 Rifles by the way? Was it some kind of presentation?

RP578 said:
coxy93 said:
Thanks
coxy93,

I've gathered a bit of experience in military historical research over the past few years and moreover The Rifles is my regiment, so I will do some digging on your behalf.

The RGJ museum in Winchester as mentioned above, is a vedry good place to start, but feel free to send me any details and I'll see what I can get for you from this end. How exactly did you get it from 7 Rifles by the way? Was it some kind of presentation?
thanks. I will pm you details of what is engraved

Basically, I'm doing the bugleing for the AFD flag raising in Milton Keynes on Monday, so instead of using a G10 bugle he gave me a regimental silver one to use with the curly shank. All I've managed to find out so far is that 1st Bn was raised in 1859 in great marlow and was presented the bugle on 11th July 1860 by the ladies of marlow and it's vicinity

Coxy,

if you want to read a good general background of the whole Volunteer movement, lay your hands on a copy of Riflemen Form by IFW Beckett.

Apart from it being an excellent work in its own right, I have a vague idea that Beckett in this or some other book had a lot to say about the volunteer/territorial forces in Bucks. But I am old, and drink, and am not to be trusted.

C_C

Thanks guys. Yeh I live in Aylesbury so will see what I can find on Friday/ Saturday.

I pressume the book can be ordered from rifles direct?

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
The full title was Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps so it could also refer to the 1st Administrative Battalion, Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteers whic was raised a few years after in order to organise the BRVC Coys that were spread over High Wycombe, Slough, Eton College, Aylesbury, Buckingham, Winslow and N. Pagnell.

The admin Bn was based in Aylesbury. E Coy, 7 Rifles in Milton Keynes can most credibly claim to be the inheritors of the old Bucks Bn and its predecessors, especially since D Coy left Aylesbury to the Royal Signals. So a lot of the Bucks related silverware and memorabilia would have ended up in MK.

Yeah, maybe I should pay attention to posters location sometimes...

I don't even know where to start looking for a PRO but I have a sneaky feeling they will not be open Saturday.

frenchie said:
Yeah, maybe I should pay attention to posters location sometimes...

I don't even know where to start looking for a PRO but I have a sneaky feeling they will not be open Saturday.
I'll just go and bug the hell out of the county council staff and the bucks museum, but I've heard the museum is crap

I would not bother with the county council staff, they are as thick as Mac. If you get stuck, come back on the thread as I know a couple of local historians.

ps. hi frenchie, your old YofS here, still knocking your pipe out on tours. Did a stint on Herrick in 09 but got medevac'd

coxy93 said:
but I've heard the museum is crap
If you like big ducks it's great.

bobos. Good thanks and no. Quite the opposite in fact. The bits and bobs that have been gathered are they 1st Bucks uniforms and pictures? I should know but been away more than in.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
frenchie said:
The bits and bobs that have been gathered are they 1st Bucks uniforms and pictures? quote]

Bits are, but not a whole lot of what's on display (if it's unchanged since I last grace those halls). There might be some more in mothballs at that TAC though so worth asking the PSAO if you still have one there.

Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteers was raised in 1859

July 1862. 1st Administrative Battalion, Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteers formed with HQ at Aylesbury to administer existing corps:
• 1st Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps at Great Marlow, raised 16 Dec. 1859 as 1st Sub-division; expanded Mar. 1860 as 1st RVC
• 2nd Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps at Wycombe, raised 6 Mar. 1860; disbanded Sep. 1861; re-formed 22 Nov. 1861 at High Wycombe as 8th RVC; renumbered Dec. 1861 as 2nd; disbanded 1872
• 3rd Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps at Buckingham, raised Mar. 1860 as half-coy; absorbed 7th RVC in 1863
• 4th Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps at Aylesbury, raised 11 May 1860
• 5th Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps at Slough, raised 20 July 1860
• 6th Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps at Newport Pagnell, raised 14 Sep.1860 as 7th RVC; renumbered Jan. 1861 as 6th; disbanded June 1864
• 7th Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps at Winslow, raised 17 May 1861; absorbed 1863 by 3rd RVC
• 8th Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps at Eton College, raised May 1867; regimented Dec. 1869

1870 company formed at Wolverton

1872 HQ moved to Great Marlow

1875.04 - 1st Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps consolidated with HQ at Great Marlow; 8th Bucks RVC became independent corps

1876 - St. Paul's College Cadet Corps formed at Stony Stratford disbanded May 1883)

1881.07.01 - Volunteer battalion of The Oxfordshire Light Infantry

1882 - eighth company formed

1891.12 - 1st Buckinghamshire Volunteer Rifle Corps serving as 3rd VB, The Oxfordshire Light Infantry

1900 - ninth company formed

1908.04.01 - Buckinghamshire Battalion, The Oxfordshire Light Infantry transferred to Territorial Force with HQ at Aylesbury, A Company at Marlow, B Company at High Wycombe (det at Winslow), C Company at Buckingham (dets at Tingewick and chesham), D Company at Aylesbury, E Company at Slough (det at Datchet), F Company at Wolverton, G Company at Wolverton, H Company at High Wycombe

1908.10.16 - Buckinghamshire Battalion, The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

1915.03 - 1/1st Buckinghamshire Battalion, The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry redesignated upon formation of 2/1st Battalion

1920.02.07 - Buckinghamshire Battalion, The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry reconstituted in T.A. with HQ at Aylesbury

1939.03.31 - 1st Buckinghamshire Battalion, The Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry redesignated on formation of 2nd Battalion

1947.01.01 - 645 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RA (Bucks) (T.A.) reconstituted in T.A. with HQ at Slough, concurrently amalgamated with 2nd Battalion and converted to artillery

1955.03.10 - R (Buckinghamshire) Battery & S (Buckinghamshire) Battery, 431 Light Anti-Aircraft Regiment, RA [amalgamated with 480 (Berkshire) HAA Regt RA and 536 (M) LAA/SL Regt (Surrey) RA]

1961.05.01 - S (Buckinghamshire Rifles) Battery, 299th (Royal Buckinghamshire Yeomanry, Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars, and Berkshire) Field Regiment, RA[reduced to one battery, and amalgamated with 299th (Royal Buckinghamshire Yeomanry, Berkshire Yeomanry, and Queen's Own Oxfordshire Hussars) Field Regiment, RA]

1967.04.01 - Q Battery (The Buckinghamshire Rifles), The Buckinghamshire Regiment, RA (Territorials) reorganised in TAVR III at Bletchley

1969.01.01 D Company, 4th (V) Battalion, The Royal Green Jackets at Aylesbury, formed from its P Bty as The Buckinghamshire Regt RA reduced to cadre

1986.12.01 - D Company at Aylesbury, E Company at Milton Keynes, raised from 16 Pln D Coy and Bletchley det 4th Bn 5th (V) Battalion, The Royal Green Jackets HQ at Oxford

1995.04.01 - D Coy disbanded

1999.07.01 - E (Royal Green Jackets) Company, The Royal Rifle Volunteers at Milton Keynes (A Coy amalgamated with E Coy, 5 RGJ to form 60 Squadron, 72nd Signal Regiment, R Sigs, and affiliated in 2005 as Royal Bucks Hussars)

2000 High Wycombe pln transferred from A Coy, RRV

2007.02 - E Company, 7th Battalion, The Rifles at Milton Keynes; High Wycombe pln disbanded

sandy_boots said:
1999.07.01 - E (Royal Green Jackets) Company, The Royal Rifle Volunteers at 2000 High Wycombe pln transferred from A Coy, RRV

2007.02 - E Company, 7th Battalion, The Rifles at Milton Keynes; High Wycombe pln disbanded
These last two are wrong. The HW Pl have belonged to A Coy since A Coy moved to Oxford in 1999. They were mothballed for 18 months in 2004/5 when the Coy mobilised a contingent for TELIC but were re-activated in 2006 and are doing very nicely, thank you...aren't they RP!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Disco The NAAFI Bar 3
W Aviation 8
T Classified Ads 30