No1 Company. 1st Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteers

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by h301593, Jun 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know anything about this company or battalion? Any early photos or information about the bn bugler's and COs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  2. Because I'm trying to find out about the unit that is engraved on a bugle. Just thought it would be good to know who the first people to blow it would of been 150 years ago
  3. Try contacting the Hon Colonel of 60 (RBH) Squadron / troop / det / in Aylesbury. I remember from my time in the Squadron, when they tried to get the old name(s) back, that the looked not only at the Hussars, but at the Bucks infantry units as a whole.
    alternatively, try the museum at Buckingham that has a lot of the early history / uniforms.
  4. Will maybe go down there tonight (pressumeing that's their drill night). I got the bugle from 7 rifles but they hardly know anything about the history of it and names
  5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

I've gathered a bit of experience in military historical research over the past few years and moreover The Rifles is my regiment, so I will do some digging on your behalf.

The RGJ museum in Winchester as mentioned above, is a vedry good place to start, but feel free to send me any details and I'll see what I can get for you from this end. How exactly did you get it from 7 Rifles by the way? Was it some kind of presentation?
  6. thanks. I will pm you details of what is engraved

Basically, I'm doing the bugleing for the AFD flag raising in Milton Keynes on Monday, so instead of using a G10 bugle he gave me a regimental silver one to use with the curly shank. All I've managed to find out so far is that 1st Bn was raised in 1859 in great marlow and was presented the bugle on 11th July 1860 by the ladies of marlow and it's vicinity
  7. Coxy,

if you want to read a good general background of the whole Volunteer movement, lay your hands on a copy of Riflemen Form by IFW Beckett.

Apart from it being an excellent work in its own right, I have a vague idea that Beckett in this or some other book had a lot to say about the volunteer/territorial forces in Bucks. But I am old, and drink, and am not to be trusted.

8. Other than that can you get down to Aylesbury? It's the county town so the public record office there could be worth a look.
  9. Thanks guys. Yeh I live in Aylesbury so will see what I can find on Friday/ Saturday.

I pressume the book can be ordered from rifles direct?
  10. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The full title was Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteer Corps so it could also refer to the 1st Administrative Battalion, Buckinghamshire Rifle Volunteers whic was raised a few years after in order to organise the BRVC Coys that were spread over High Wycombe, Slough, Eton College, Aylesbury, Buckingham, Winslow and N. Pagnell.

The admin Bn was based in Aylesbury. E Coy, 7 Rifles in Milton Keynes can most credibly claim to be the inheritors of the old Bucks Bn and its predecessors, especially since D Coy left Aylesbury to the Royal Signals. So a lot of the Bucks related silverware and memorabilia would have ended up in MK.
  11. Yeah, maybe I should pay attention to posters location sometimes...

I don't even know where to start looking for a PRO but I have a sneaky feeling they will not be open Saturday.
  12. I'll just go and bug the hell out of the county council staff and the bucks museum, but I've heard the museum is crap